Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayneg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2003
Hi,

I'm going to be getting a cable internet account through Comcast here in sunny Portland Oregon. I want to look into buying the modem myself. Can someone please point me to a reliable, bare-bones model?

Ideally, it will use firewire because all my USB ports are used up. I'm running 10.2.3. Thank you!

conceptdev

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
I do not believe that such a thing as a firewire cable modem exists. You would want one with an ethernet port. Not a USB because that would be as slow as death.

rayneg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2003
Yes, the ethernet port would be even better. I found USB port models on eBay and was concerned that might be the standard.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Radio Shack sells an RCA Cable Modem for $79.99 and I have a friend that bought one and it works well. It handles both USB and Ethernet, but the USB drivers are for PC only so you would have to use the Ethernet port for the Mac. Of course, I would recommend Ethernet as the way to go anyhow, USB would be slow and if you are running anything else through USB like a printer, camera, or an iSub it would be even slower.

I have a Toshiba PCX1100 that is an Ethernet only modem and it works well, it is not mine however. The Cable company here includes a cable modem with the cost of the service, so why buy one when you have to pay for theirs anyway.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by conceptdev
I do not believe that such a thing as a firewire cable modem exists. You would want one with an ethernet port. Not a USB because that would be as slow as death.

USB is more than enough, it runs at 12mbps, cable modems range from 256bps to 3mbps.

Most cable companies lend or give you the modem I thought, mine did.

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
Originally posted by ebow
I'll second that, especially because some (many?) ISPs will charge you a higher rate if you use your own cablemodem. Sucks, but that's business, I suppose.

yes, it is quite sad that you are locked into a monopoly when you move into an area, building etc. I am so happy that i switched to digital cable, especially since i get a discount on my HSI too through comcast :D

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
i agree with using the modem they supply. only only costs a few bucks a month extra, and you can use the money you save to buy a router with a built in firewall, as i would not recommend connecting to a broadband/static IP connection without some sort of hardware firewall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.