Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
For once, Quark produces an extra something of value to me:

Quark Interactive Designer is an optional module for QuarkXPress 7 that extends the capabilities of QuarkXPress to allow designers to include motion, sound, and interactivity in their designs and to output SWF (Flash®) files. This software combines the precision of the QuarkXPress 7 design tools with the power and flexibility of the SWF (Flash) format for the creation of projects with rich design and robust interactivity.

All for only £69 until April 1 2007 (I like the date)... if it works as advertised, then this could do for our plasma screen in reception without getting bogged down in Flash as some print designers are loathe to do. :eek:

http://www.quark.com/products/interactivedesigner/

:)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The price is definitely right, if you already have XPress. Hopefully, it's a lot simpler than using Flash.

How many people use XPress for website development, though?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
bousozoku said:
The price is definitely right, if you already have XPress. Hopefully, it's a lot simpler than using Flash.

How many people use XPress for website development, though?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Wait.

Adobe owns Flash now.

Why havent they created an Illustrator, Photoshop...n' more that integrates Flash?

I havent seen anything touting it in CS3....why not dammit!? am i jus ignant?

After Effects (PRO only) ----> Live Paint

Illustrator + Flash = Live Paint for flash and possibly more...

Quark gets this though?

I think I just vomited a little.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Seems a bit silly to me. It's like the built in web features. Does anybody actually use them? Right tool for the right job, I say.

digitaldean

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
decksnap said:
Seems a bit silly to me. It's like the built in web features. Does anybody actually use them? Right tool for the right job, I say.

I agree. But there are those who need to use Flash on an infrequent basis. It appears that this app does the trick (at first glance anyway).

I hope it's less buggy than QuarkImmedia (Quark's last stab at interactive design production). While nice in theory, it required a separate web viewer and crashed like crazy when I beta tested it.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Sdashiki said:
Wait.

Adobe owns Flash now.

Why havent they created an Illustrator, Photoshop...n' more that integrates Flash?

I havent seen anything touting it in CS3....why not dammit!? am i jus ignant?

After Effects (PRO only) ----> Live Paint

Illustrator + Flash = Live Paint for flash and possibly more...

Quark gets this though?

I think I just vomited a little.

Creative Suite 3

Adobe Creative Suite 3 is due for release in the first half of 2007. The suite's programs will be the Universal binary version for the Mac platform. [1] [2] In CS3, GoLive will be replaced by Macromedia Dreamweaver, a similar but superior product acquired from Abobe's purchase of Macromedia. The suite is also likely to add Macromedia Flash to its collection of programs, but the fate of Macromedia Fireworks has yet to be decided (it will likely either replace ImageReady or be sold as a standalone application).

(link)

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Mmmm, Quark wants $250 to upgrade to 7 and $100 for this (Interactive Designer). The whole Creative Suite is a $150 upgrade. I would think that Quark has to start getting far more aggressive with their prices to stop losing ground to CS.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Let's put this into a little perspective. As an optional module (sure to be integrated into Quark 8) this isn't intended as a replacement for Flash nor is the use of Flash solely restricted to web-use. It's widely used for signage, POS and kiosk work as well...

What this does (on a cursory look) is enable a print designer (like me) to export Flash content as SWF files or Projector apps without having to get tied into timelines and action scripts with (apparently) over 100 pre-defined actions and visual tools for animating.

I can now take existing artwork and modify it for our website or our plasma display without having to import it into another app with all the problems that it entails. This is a good thing. Mind you, I haven't tried it yet so wait for the cursing and spitting to start sometime at a thread near you. ;)

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
Saw the demo at MacExpo in London yesterday. The interface looks easy to follow and works in a logical way. Baring any browser bugs this looks to be a sound piece of software that will quickly introduce print designers to interactive design without the headache of flash scripting and time lines.

YES it will have limitations and YES Flash may allow you to do more but I think this is more accessible and user friendly than Flash so will hit a large market. As for price it is FREE for students that buy QuarkXpress 7 and once they get use to using it I don’t think many of them will look at Flash because it’s a pig to use and is more advanced than it needs to be for the average designer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.