Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
So a local computer shop i used to work at took in a G4 Cube for repair and they can not get in touch with the original owner. So i bought it for $150. All it needs is a OS. It comes with a 15" apple LCD monitor. I have about 3 external drives hooked to my 24" iMac. I want to set up the 3 drives on the cube as one RAID 0 drive. What sort of OS would be best. Can i get away with Tiger Client or should i get OSX Server? Also, i pick up the computer on tuesday, anything i should look at before i pay for it and call it mine?

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
Just a file server? I use a B&W G3 running Panther and it works just swell (it runs as a web/ftp server too). Sharepoints is donationware and does an excellent job of setting up file share volumes (something I found difficult in the stock OS for folders/volumes outside of the home folder)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
For $150 with a display, it's a steal. It's a gift horse -- don't look it in the mouth!

A Cube would make an idea file server. Mine will probably find its way into that role eventually.

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
Some people are really strange with repairs. At the place I work, one person once booked their Kirby in for a repair. They came to pick it up TWO YEARS later.

TWO YEARS.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Some people are really strange with repairs. At the place I work, one person once booked their Kirby in for a repair. They came to pick it up TWO YEARS later.

TWO YEARS.

Did you still have it 2 years later?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.