Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
How do I resize images on a mac? I've had my MacBook for 4 months know I never knew how to do this. On Windows in paint all you do is paste the picture and then resize it by dragging the corners, is there a way to do this on macs? I can't seem to find a way to do this in preview. And in Seashore I don't know how to do this unless I manually put in the scale size I want. I simply want to drag the corner of the picture to make it the size I want, how can I do this? Thanks.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
i don't have photoshop, all i have is seashore and iphoto. so what can i do? how is something so simple not part of OS X?

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2006
I'm not exactly sure what your talking about, but I think you can do something similar in Preview.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
i don't have photoshop, all i have is seashore and iphoto. so what can i do? how is something so simple not part of OS X?

I don't know what you're talking about... dragging the picture size in Windows Paint just makes the canvas itself bigger, not the whole image.

EDIT: Oh I know what you're talking about... no, there is no free Mac utility to do this, although it's not really considered the "correct" way of resizing an image, but rather the cheap Windows Paint way of doing it since Windows Paint doesn't feature layers. If you want to just resize an image, you can do it in iPhoto or Seashore.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
How do I resize images on a mac? I've had my MacBook for 4 months know I never knew how to do this. On Windows in paint all you do is paste the picture and then resize it by dragging the corners, is there a way to do this on macs? I can't seem to find a way to do this in preview. And in Seashore I don't know how to do this unless I manually put in the scale size I want. I simply want to drag the corner of the picture to make it the size I want, how can I do this? Thanks.

Resizing in MS Paint is not a optimal way to resize on windows why would you want to do the same on a Mac. Use the export feature in iPhoto and be done with it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Use the "scale tool" in Gimp/Seashore

I don't know much about Seashore but I know that it is a port id "Gimp". I do know and use Gimp. Assumming they work the same.....

One way you do it is to go Image-->Image Scale and then enter the size in pixels
but I think what you are looking for is the "scale tool". First select the entire image ussing any of the selection tools then select the "scale tool" from the toolbox. (or type shift-T) Notice that the "scale" dialog box pops up. The same box you got by doing Image-->Image Scale except that now you don't have to type in the pixel size because as you drage the image on the screenthe pixels are filled in to match your actions with the mouse. I think this is exactly what you want.

Sory I don't have a Mac right here but I just tried this on a Linux system and it works just fine.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
thanks everyone. so dragging the corner of the picture to make it smaller is impossible?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I use the constrain way in iPhoto, but all it does is gray out some of it... Any iPhoto experts here?:confused:

After drawing the constrain box on your image, you have to press the "Crop" button to delete the grayed out part.

crop.png

krestfallen

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2005
what about graphics converter? very powerfull tool...
it was preinstalled on my powerbook...

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
overkill

if you have photoshop its very easy.

Hi

This comment of yours kind of bugs me, as it is not that unusual to find it in this macrumours crowd. the OP asked a simple question about a basic operation... so basic that it should be obvious that using a software package that retails for EUR419+VAT is not really an option.

much in the same way that there is a Windows Powertoy that do this operation with 2 clicks of a mouse, there are a few similar freeware tools that run on OS X: http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2006/09/jpegresize/index.php

I picked Smallimage from these two, as I usually need to resize one photo at a time instead of doing batch jobs.

Nuno

mark santangelo

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
I use the constrain way in iPhoto, but all it does is gray out some of it... Any iPhoto experts here?:confused:

in iphoto

select the photo u want to resize then at the top click share tab

then export then choose the size you want from there

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
what about graphics converter? very powerfull tool...
it was preinstalled on my powerbook...

That's what I use for image resizing. I have a problem sometimes, though. Sometimes the pictures after resizing them are a bit blurry. I have the quality set all the way up when I save 'em, so I don't know what I could be doing wrong. What I do is scale it to whatever size I want (for example, scaling it from 1600x1200 to 1280x1024) Anyone know why it would turn out blurry?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Preview resizes photos very simply, and is faster and uses less resources than iPhoto. Open a photo in Preview, then click Tools > Adjust Size:

Picture 10.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.