Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
I did some quick googles but didn't find anything easily. Too much spam in Google these days.

Has anyone gotten Windows XP x64 installed under Boot Camp? The reason I ask is my brother ordered the x64 version on Accident and not knowing there is a difference until Boot Camp told him so when he tried to get it going.

So now he's got a $140 coaster because no one is going to take an opened version of the software back. Nice feature.

Thanks

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
what mac does he have?

if it has core 2 duo or is a mac pro he has a good chance. if not then no chance.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2006
Bootcamp manual specifically states in bold print "DO NOT use Windows XP x64 edition."

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
what mac does he have?

Mac Pro 2.66GHz.

Bootcamp manual specifically states in bold print "DO NOT use Windows XP x64 edition."

Thanks for pointing out the obvious there, his challenge was when he searched newegg for it he found the only windows professional he could and that ended up being the x64. He's not a computer guy, he just wants to play EQ, F.E.A.R. and a few other gams every now and then. he didn't know x64 meant anything.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2006
Thanks for pointing out the obvious there, his challenge was when he searched newegg for it he found the only windows professional he could and that ended up being the x64. He's not a computer guy, he just wants to play EQ, F.E.A.R. and a few other gams every now and then. he didn't know x64 meant anything.

Sorry didn't mean to sound rude but I was merely pointing out that the instructions say that because its not possible to install the x64 edition since it's a 32-bit system and cannot support that installation. Hence it is not possible to install the 64-bit version on a 32-bit system. Hope this helps.

xlosltove777

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Long Island, NY
You should be able to run Windows x64, the Xeon processor is x64 isn't it? Even if it works though bootcamp won't help with the drivers. x64 and regular Windows Pro drivers are different. This should be fixed in Vista from what I understand(go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong), so when that launches and bootcamp provides drives you should be in x64 bliss

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
Sorry didn't mean to sound rude but I was merely pointing out that the instructions say that because its not possible to install the x64 edition since it's a 32-bit system and cannot support that installation. Hence it is not possible to install the 64-bit version on a 32-bit system. Hope this helps.

The Mac Pro is not a 32 Bit system, it's a 64-bit system. xp64 installed just fine, we're just hunting for the device drivers at this point it's booted, sound works, video works, network works. Just trying to find the last few ?'s and see WTF they are supposed to be.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2006
Oh I didn't even read "Mac Pro" sorry lol. Please ignore me I am so excited about my c2d mbp when I see Mac somewhere I automatically insert "book pro" after it :D

drval

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
The issue IS the drivers. If you can find them -- and they work for your apps -- then you're fine. If not, then you'll need to use 32-bit Windows.

The driver base for x64 Windows is not that large at this point so it really does come down to what you want to do.

FWIW, you would have saved yourself a lot of time and effort is you had gotten 32-bit Windows.

drval

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
Isn't this a case of "read the manual".

jeez. Maybe this is one of the reasons that the Windows world seems "arcane" to some. I understand that accidents happen and that we don't all "read the manual" but it can really save some time and effort -- and the information/truth is "out there" -- sorry to pull a "Fox".

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Windows x64 is challenged without adding Mac into the mix. As others mentioned, drivers are a royal pain. Even those suppose to work, sometimes do not. I ordered 4 Dells with x64 and ended up biting the bullet and rebuilding then with regular XP Pro.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
Isn't this a case of "read the manual".

jeez. Maybe this is one of the reasons that the Windows world seems "arcane" to some. I understand that accidents happen and that we don't all "read the manual" but it can really save some time and effort -- and the information/truth is "out there" -- sorry to pull a "Fox".

Not sure what fair & balanced has to do with any of this.

Again, as I stated, the only version of XP he could find using whatever search terms he did was Windows XP x64. He did not know there was a 32-bit and 64-bit version. He had Windows on his other machine, and didn't know enough to look.

Either way, doesn't help in this situation. Even if he had asked before opening once it leaves newegg.com it's non-returnable anyway.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Again, as I stated, the only version of XP he could find using whatever search terms he did was Windows XP x64.

Either way, doesn't help in this situation. Even if he had asked before opening once it leaves newegg.com it's non-returnable anyway.
That really sucks. Guess Newegg wasn't the best place to get XP from. If you search around these forums I've seen topics discussing where to get really cheap OEM versions of XP.

Odd though, cause when I search for "Windows XP" on Newegg the *first 4* results are 32bit versions of XP (Pro SP2, Pro SP2 Upgrade, Home SP2, Home SP2 Upgrade). The x64 version isn't even on the first results page.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
Odd though, cause when I search for "Windows XP" on Newegg the *first 4* results are 32bit versions of XP (Pro SP2, Pro SP2 Upgrade, Home SP2, Home SP2 Upgrade). The x64 version isn't even on the first results page.

Yep, same for me. I searched right after he said it and said you bought this one, right? and he said no, he never saw that one type of thing.

Again, he repairs MRI's for a living, if it was MRI related and he did something stupid I'd laugh and poing but this was a computer thing and he didn't know to look to know the difference. I told him to go to newegg and buy Win XP Professional and he did, just it didn't work out.

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
There is a thread in here detailing how to successfully install Windows XP x64 edition on a Mac Pro, just do a search.

stefan15

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2005
Canada
Wow you guys are pessimistic... there will most likely be 64-bit drivers available, possible open-source. One way or another they will be here eventually. And BTW I have had NO problems finding drivers for ANY device on x64 so far (PC).. in other words the driver base seems fine. You might actually have to SEARCH for them.. but otherwise no problems.

Hang on to your x64. In time there should be support.

xlosltove777

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Long Island, NY
I spent quite a good deal of time looking for drivers for my netgear ethernet card, printer, and camcorder and didn't find anything about a year ago. And from what I understood at the time things probably weren't going to get better . If anything developers have been focusing and will continue to focus on Vista-compatible drivers and for whoever wants x64 they'll recommend Vista x64.

drval

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
You are correct -- Vista will be the next supported platform whereas x64 will, most likely, become the next Windows ME.

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
xp 64 bit is just a plane ole pain in the backside. never have i come accross something so annoying when it comes to working proper or drivers. Just stick with 32bit xp or of course mac os :D

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
I got my copy of xp pro more my 2footer from newegg and oddly enough in bold letter it had xp pro x64 and underneath it had xp pro. I don't think it was so much a newegg error as a user headspace error:D

driftnut56

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008

This is actually not true. The macbook pro's processor does support x64 and is fully capable of running it but the drivers are difficult to find which is the only draw back. Vista x64 runs on the macbook pro for instance but the drivers are included on the :apple: boot camp CD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.