Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hacurio1

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2002
Good!!

Great News!!!

That probably means that the 980 will be here rather sooner than later. The G4 had such a long life cycle that I really hope we see the 980 here ON TIME! to compete with the next generation of Intels. Oh BTW, if the Power 5 is supposed to be 4x faster than current power4 that means that it will be the fastest chip when released, Not even Itanium 2 will be able to compete with the Power 5

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Maybe for a year we'll have G4's in the consumer machines and 970's in the pros followed by 970's for consumers and 980's for pros. Apple should just sign a big contract with IBM right now.

nixd2001

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2002
UK
Shame about the Alpha though - it was a well designed CPU. How many other design teams seriously embark on a realistic plan on getting 1000 fold speed improvement over a 25 year lifetime? I'll take a dual 970 machine though!!!! Just haven't found anyone offering yet though.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
:)
This really makes me feel like there is a huge possibility that 64 bit will go into effect across the board this June. I wouldn't even mind Apple not releasing any updates until then. It is only 3 months away now.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I actually think we'll see the 970 supplant the G4 at once. When it debuts, I think we'll see PowerBooks and PowerMacs with it. I think on the consumer side we'll see a new chip, an IBM G3+. I think the G3+ will be an enhanced G3 processor with AltiVec. It should provide equal to or better performance than the G4. I don't believe Apple will say it uses a G3. I think they'll call it something else. This will free Apple completely from Motorola, which will be an important point to show off.

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
First of the g3s in ibooks are ibm. secondly they already is a g3 with altivec. It's called the G4 and it;'s made by our lazy friend Motorola

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by DHagan4755
I actually think we'll see the 970 supplant the G4 at once. When it debuts, I think we'll see PowerBooks and PowerMacs with it. I think on the consumer side we'll see a new chip, an IBM G3+. I think the G3+ will be an enhanced G3 processor with AltiVec. It should provide equal to or better performance than the G4. I don't believe Apple will say it uses a G3. I think they'll call it something else. This will free Apple completely from Motorola, which will be an important point to show off.

The original G4 was a slightly enhanced G3 with Altivec. How is this different from your G3+? I think we'll see G4s replace G3s completely, and the 970 replace G4s in the high end.

Also, the 4X speed improvement is generally regarded as marketing hype rather then fact, although I imagine there will be much rejoicing if it's true. Itanium vs. POWER is going to be a long, fun battle to watch (like AMD vs. Intel but with higher stakes, bigger players, and more advanced tech).

And, yeah, the Alpha kicked ass. It's really a pity the EV8 got canned.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
Maybe consumer line of products will be replace by G4 (iBook included) but it won't be Motorola's G4, it will be IBM's version of G3 with its own AltiVec/SIMD.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Originally posted by macphoria
Maybe consumer line of products will be replace by G4 (iBook included) but it won't be Motorola's G4, it will be IBM's version of G3 with its own AltiVec/SIMD.

I doubt it. IBM has announced nothing about a G3 with Altivec. Motorola will have .13um G4's available Q4. Sometimes you just have to take the path of least resistance. Odds are against IBM doing anything substantial with the G3

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Tired of hearing about the "G3+"

I'm getting tired about a G3 with altivec from IBM. It doesn't exist and it will never exist. The concept of it is what the G4 is and it already exists. Yes it is made by Moto and yes the 970 is a IBM chip with altivec. But it is not practical that IBM create a higher end G3 with more features like altivec. They are filling the need for altivec in the 970. Why waste valuable development money that could be used for making the successor to the 970?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.