Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blindtheater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum. i own a 2.66mhz mac pro and there are a few details that have been popping up. first, the time display changes timezones at random. i have bootcamp installed and it does the same thing on the windows xp side. this is becoming a problem since i power up the mac on schedule and now it powers up at random times. the other problem is that the startup chime on mac os x appears for a few weeks and then itll go away but still boots up with no problem. i have searched countless forums and have not found an answer to these questions. any help is appreciated.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
The problem is Windows...

The hardware uses UTC time, as does OS X.
Windows uses Local Time (defaulting to Pacific).

When you boot into Windows, it syncs the clock to PST.
When you Boot into OS X, it syncs the clock to UTC.

The problem is that both OS's don't sync on boot. It may be quite some time (I think it's 12 hours?) before it syncs to an atomic clock again.

You should be able to write a script in each OS to force a time sync on boot.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
the startup chime is based on the volume level when you shutdown. If you have the volume muted on shutdown, the startup chime should be muted too.

Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. (yeah, like I actually have to ask...)

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Yeah its not an internal clock problem, it happens when you sync back and forth between Windows and OSX, happens on my Mac Pro, happens on my MBP, happened on my iMac and it probably happens on the Mac mini as well.

blindtheater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
thanks

thanks guys, i wasnt expecting such quick responses. ill see what i can do to sync the two operating systems.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
the startup chime is based on the volume level when you shutdown. If you have the volume muted on shutdown, the startup chime should be muted too.

Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. (yeah, like I actually have to ask...)

Yes your correct. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.