Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
Alright, so here's the breakdown, I tried to take off the back cover of my iMac last night to dust out the fans and everything on the inside, but after taking out all 4 screws (even the extra 2 in the middle) I couldn't get the darn thing off!

I used to own a PPC iMac G5 and used to do this frequently and had no problem, the back generally came off by just pulling out and down......

The one I tried to clean out now is a refurbished Intel Core Duo 20" iMac........ I was wondering maybe if it had anything to do with it being refurbished that I couldn't get it off? I was tugging, pulling, and going to the extent where I wanted to break it. But to my frustration, I stopped, put the screws in, and decided to come on here and ask.......... sooooooo.......

Is there some special technique of getting it off that I'm unaware of? :confused:

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Unlike the G5 iMac, the Intel iMacs are not designed to have the user remove the back cover. Some people here have opened up some 24" iMacs, but it is a different process. It opens up revealing the screen and below that, and to replace the HDD you must take the screen out.

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
It's not worth it to clean some dust out.

I know it seems like a hassle...... I probably won't do it. I just know when I used to dust out my G5 iMac, there was a lotttttt of dust on the fans and such. It was like a helicopter droppin down in the desert when I blasted it with the aircan....... but, at least I know now to disassemble it if I ever want to upgrade.

Thanks guys.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
How Stupid, they seem to be going backwards with design, just looked at that guide, it's more difficult than trying to get into a G3 imac, Jesus Christ, how stupid, so you cant get the back cover off at all ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.