Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPods rule!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Hi all! My dad traded here my Powerbook 17" for a Mac Mini (we got ripped off) because I missed my old one too much. So this guy who has an account here and at MacNN, illegaloperation, was supposed to trade all this stuff my little brother and I would enjoy (I'm 13, he's 11), like this Mac Mini, a Compaq Laptop, an Xbox with 10 games, a slim PS2, $100 cash, a keyboard and mouse set, a wireless mouse, and a remote for the mini.

All I have is the mini, the remote, and the Apple mouse. Nothing else arrived and the last time Dad heard from illegaloperation was something like the 23 of October. He said his wife would ship it all off the next day with 2day shipping. Nothing has EVER came yet.

But on to my concern. This Mini is great and all. It is 1.25 GHz fast, has a 120 gig hard drive, a Superdrive, 1 gigabyte of memory, 10.4.8 with every software update. I thought I would enjoy it more than a Powerbook, but I guess not. So once I become a "regular" here I might post a trade thread in the Marketplace. But I have, like in the title, questions about a 12" Powerbook plus 14" iBooks.

Questions:

1.) Is it a fair trade, a Mini for an *at least low spec'd* Powerbook/iBook G4?
2.) What kind of major problems have they had?
3.) If all I do is schoolwork (8th grade if it helps), music playing, iPod syncing, and photo viewing/editing *not professionally*, would a 14" iBook be enough rather than a 12" Powerbook?
4.) How well would they run that iChat AV + iSight camera software?
5.) My brother and I enjoy running Photobooth on the Mini, would it work fine with an iBook/Powerbook?

Sorry if some of the questions seem stupid, I'm sort of new to the Apple world, seeing that the beloved Powerbook was my second Mac. I felt sad when I traded it off, hoping I'd feel better once I got all my stuff. But apparently, since only the Mini is here, I still miss my Powerbook. I can't believe illegaloperatio would scam us (I even saw the items in a picture), but one way or another I want my Powerbook back. I'm not gonna go knowing Dad's been scammed. In fact, it's MY loss, since he thought I wouldn't have to miss my Mini if I traded my Powerbook for this Mini + more. My Powerbook left to someone who didn't keep his end of the deal :( !

Thanks alot illegaloperatio :mad:

But anyways, try to help me out if you can guys. I'd really appreciate it.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Interestingly enough, I have both a 12" PB and 14" iBook! They're both great computers.

I'm guessing your Mini is a Core Solo? You could probably get an iBook for the price of what you'd sell the mini for, the 12" PB's tend go up to $1000 sometimes! :eek:

I've had no major issues with either one, just a few minor things here and there which Apple gladly fixed. 14" iBook will suit your needs just as well as a 12" PB, it just comes down to portability and looks, if that's a concern for you.

Not sure about your iSight/Photobook questions as I don't use those, but I'm going to take a guess and say that they should run fine on them.

iPods rule!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
extraextra said:
Interestingly enough, I have both a 12" PB and 14" iBook! They're both great computers.

I'm guessing your Mini is a Core Solo? You could probably get an iBook for the price of what you'd sell the mini for, the 12" PB's tend go up to $1000 sometimes!

I've had no major issues with either one, just a few minor things here and there which Apple gladly fixed. 14" iBook will suit your needs just as well as a 12" PB, it just comes down to portability and looks, if that's a concern for you.

Not sure about your iSight/Photobook questions as I don't use those, but I'm going to take a guess and say that they should run fine on them.

Actually, it's a G4 :eek: I had a Core Solo (1.5GHz) which left for my Powerbook. I like the G4 14" iBook a lot! They're slick looking and would fit in nice with the local Starbucks we always visit at the mall.

iBooks are probably my favorite. I like the bulletproof material design, the Sudden Motion Sensor, scrolling trackpad...everything. I know the Powerbooks probably have the same stuff but the 14" iBooks are just *amazing* to me.

My parents, since Christmas is approaching, are looking into getting me a 20" Core 2 Duo iMac (of course I pitch in :) ), since that's what Apple recommended for an 8th grader. This Mini is just not enough Mac for me :p. I have loved the iMac ever since the G4's but my parents would never switch to the Mac world. Except Dad; Mom sticks to her Dells which she got her latest in September, and *according to Dell* the logic board is near death so it's being sent in for repairs.

Seems like I'll have a nice Mac setup. An 80GB iPod, Core 2 Duo iMac, and an iBook. I just hope I don't get a scratched up broken iBook from eBay. We're looking at the refurbished ones at Apple's online store.

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
Hi all! My dad traded here my Powerbook 17" for a Mac Mini (we got ripped off) because I missed my old one too much. So this guy who has an account here and at MacNN, illegaloperation, was supposed to trade all this stuff my little brother and I would enjoy (I'm 13, he's 11), like this Mac Mini, a Compaq Laptop, an Xbox with 10 games, a slim PS2, $100 cash, a keyboard and mouse set, a wireless mouse, and a remote for the mini.

All I have is the mini, the remote, and the Apple mouse. Nothing else arrived and the last time Dad heard from illegaloperation was something like the 23 of October. He said his wife would ship it all off the next day with 2day shipping. Nothing has EVER came yet.

But on to my concern. This Mini is great and all. It is 1.25 GHz fast, has a 120 gig hard drive, a Superdrive, 1 gigabyte of memory, 10.4.8 with every software update. I thought I would enjoy it more than a Powerbook, but I guess not. So once I become a "regular" here I might post a trade thread in the Marketplace. But I have, like in the title, questions about a 12" Powerbook plus 14" iBooks.

Questions:

1.) Is it a fair trade, a Mini for an *at least low spec'd* Powerbook/iBook G4?
2.) What kind of major problems have they had?
3.) If all I do is schoolwork (8th grade if it helps), music playing, iPod syncing, and photo viewing/editing *not professionally*, would a 14" iBook be enough rather than a 12" Powerbook?
4.) How well would they run that iChat AV + iSight camera software?
5.) My brother and I enjoy running Photobooth on the Mini, would it work fine with an iBook/Powerbook?

Sorry if some of the questions seem stupid, I'm sort of new to the Apple world, seeing that the beloved Powerbook was my second Mac. I felt sad when I traded it off, hoping I'd feel better once I got all my stuff. But apparently, since only the Mini is here, I still miss my Powerbook. I can't believe illegaloperatio would scam us (I even saw the items in a picture), but one way or another I want my Powerbook back. I'm not gonna go knowing Dad's been scammed. In fact, it's MY loss, since he thought I wouldn't have to miss my Mini if I traded my Powerbook for this Mini + more. My Powerbook left to someone who didn't keep his end of the deal :( !

Thanks alot illegaloperatio :mad:

But anyways, try to help me out if you can guys. I'd really appreciate it.

If you dont mind another 8th grader's opinion..... I have a middle range macbook(2.0 GHZ stock ram,HD) I had an iBook and i hated it because it always locked up...(Latest G4).. Ditched it for a macbook. The macbook has never given me any bad problems(every computer has some quirks).
So to answer your questions.... And when the C2D macbooks come out, they will get even cheaper i predict.
1. In my mind... yes but i wouldnt, i wold sell it and use the money towards a macbook when the C2D comes out..
2.As i stated. Although the iBook locked up on me.. It might work for you(it didnt for me)
3. If you get the 12 in PB, you will be getting performance over screen size(not much more performance... 1.5 GHZ to 1.42 for the last PB and iBook...
4. It should run well.. But if you dont already have an iSight.. You will be adding another 100 that could be put into a refurb macbook with one built in..
5. It should work fine( i used it with my iBook) but now my little bro uses it with my old iBook..
Hopes this helps... and if not... go ahead an delete it..
Ps... I got the macbook pretty cheap with a student diescount from my sis in college ... but refurbs are close if not the same price.. i got mine for 100 dollars cheaper than new...

iPods rule!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Thanks! I've been liking the MacBooks but my school recommends an iBook (maybe they haven't heard of the MacBook). The refurbs are at least $950, so that might be a good goal. But for right now I'll be selling things and working for the money for one. I have a 20" C2D iMac *maybe* on its way, so I also have to pitch in to that if I want one. But, eventually I'll have a Macbook or an iBook. I like the design of the 14" iBook, the 13.3" screen looks kind of low/wide. But it's OK so I'll probably just aim for that.

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
Thanks! I've been liking the MacBooks but my school recommends an iBook (maybe they haven't heard of the MacBook). The refurbs are at least $950, so that might be a good goal. But for right now I'll be selling things and working for the money for one. I have a 20" C2D iMac *maybe* on its way, so I also have to pitch in to that if I want one. But, eventually I'll have a Macbook or an iBook. I like the design of the 14" iBook, the 13.3" screen looks kind of low/wide. But it's OK so I'll probably just aim for that.

Ya the screen took me a while to get used to from my ibook but maybe talk to your schools computers teacher(if you have one) or talk to any teacher who is charge of the computers at your school and see... They probably have a clue about what they are talking about

iPods rule!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Ya the screen took me a while to get used to from my ibook but maybe talk to your schools computers teacher(if you have one) or talk to any teacher who is charge of the computers at your school and see... They probably have a clue about what they are talking about

Yeah, in IT/Computers, we can bring Apples under 15", PC notebooks only 12". I don't know why :confused: but I guess that's what they want so... I asked my Principal and all he told me was that iBooks are the perfect thing for school. We actually had a contest held at our local mall as a *back to school* thing. If you win the drawing, you get:

14" iBook G4
2GB iPod Nano
iPod Hi-Fi
iTunes $50 gift card.

I entered so many times (back before school started) thinking I would win but... I did get drawn, but it went to a bigger drawing for the whole state. But anyways, I'll probably get a MacBook before Christmas sometime. I'm going to Branson in 2 weeks, so I could find an Apple Store or something and pick one up there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.