Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I think Microsoft Paint is one of the greatest Windows-only applications, but I don't want to keep turning on my PC just to use it. Is there any way to import the application to run on Mac OS X? If not, is there a similar application for OS X? (and NO, PhotoShop is TOO hard to use, and I don't remember the simplicity of KidPix).
Thanks!!!!

Reactions: lguardado

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
The Mac OS X equivalent to MS Paint is Seashore.

Another program that you can download is Gimp, which is more like Photoshop than Seashore is. :)

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
I just sprayed coffee all over my computer! What a ****ing joke!

LOL. Paint one of the best Windows-only apps, I don't think so.

My wife was just asking me today if there is such a thing as MS Paint on the Mac... Thanks for the URLs, I'll have to get her to check out Seashore.

No problem, unfortunately the Seashore site seems to be down at the moment. :)

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Just curious, if you don't think Paint is the best Windows only program, what is?

Maybe I would say Paint is the best Windows only program made by Microsoft/included with Windows.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Just curious, if you don't think Paint is the best Windows only program, what is?

Maybe I would say Paint is the best Windows only program made by Microsoft/included with Windows.

There is Solitare :rolleyes: :p

I would agree that Paint is one of the best Windows bundled programs, but there are loads better Windows only programs. All those Spyware and Anti-Virus programs are far more important than Paint. :D

L

Lau

I think Paint's fantastic for being a quick and light application to draw quick doodles and sketches and quickly edit images. I agree it's a thing that Windows has that Macs don't and although I usually have Photoshop open anyway, a smaller and simpler iLife program much like Preview would be appreciated.

A MacRumors member called robbieduncan has a great little free program like paint called Poster Paint, which might interest you.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I agree with him. The 4+ years I've used a Mac, I have yet to find such a simple pain-app that works in the same way. I'm thinking of learning some Visual Basic just to make a similar app.
Or you can download GraphicConverter, which is far superior to MS Paint and easier to use.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Or you can download GraphicConverter, which is far superior to MS Paint and easier to use.

Hmm.. It's shareware and $30. Poster Paint did seem nice, though, even if "early beta" and "buggy" are three words I'm not particularily happy about..

Oh, and it crashes when I try to start it. 10.3.9 here.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hmm.. It's shareware and $30. ...
True, but GraphicConverter is fully functional if you decline to pay the shareware fee. Paying the shareware fee ends the launch delay which does not affect you if you don't shut it down. However, it is such a good app that you will want to support its developer.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
It's surprising...

...that there's isn't an awesome MS Paint style app for OS X. Look at all the back end work that Apple has done with core image and the like, you would think it would be fairly simple for somebody to write this in a weekend. Now I'm the first to admit that I'm not a programmer, I've just read a lot of Apple's literature on the subject. They make it seem trivial to create such an app. Why hasn't Apple done it and threw it in OS X, since nobody else has created one thus far?

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
it is such a good app that you will want to support its developer.

exactly! I don't want to start using it, because I'd feel bad if I didn't support him.. :eek:

and Mox, I agree, it is kind of strange. But I guess demand for a image editing program with no layers, no bells and no whistles (save maybe those core-image filters) is not that big..

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I like Pixen a lot, very easy to use, feels like an Apple application, its simple and very fast and does have some slightly advanced options like layers and animation.

Its like an Apple-ified MS Paint with some enhancements and great performance.

I love it, I have it on my MBP and it works great.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
I think Microsoft Paint is one of the greatest Windows-only applications, but I don't want to keep turning on my PC just to use it. Is there any way to import the application to run on Mac OS X? If not, is there a similar application for OS X? (and NO, PhotoShop is TOO hard to use, and I don't remember the simplicity of KidPix).
Thanks!!!!

This program is amazing in my opinion.

not free, but so easy to use. I love it.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
CrossOver Office works, too. Not that I'd actually run it outside of a demo phase... yuck. There are plenty of OS X native solutions that have been listed here.

Anyroad, the MFC42u.dll and mspaint.exe from Windows XP SP2 work well.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    225.1 KB · Views: 585

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
I like Pixen a lot, very easy to use, feels like an Apple application, its simple and very fast and does have some slightly advanced options like layers and animation.

Its like an Apple-ified MS Paint with some enhancements and great performance.

I love it, I have it on my MBP and it works great.

Pixen is mainly made for pixel-art, and works very slowly on images of a resolution of, say, 1900*1200 pixels. (that would freeze my iMac.)

It's a great program for what it's meant for, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.