Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
To go along with my shapeshifter OS9 theme, I'm looking for the original OS9 wallpaper backgrounds. Anyone have em?

TIA!

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Maybe I've got it wrong. I meant the desktop background of the smiling icon. Like the finder dock icon. Remember those? are those OS8?

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Well there are two things that you could be referring to (see attachments). As I said before what I zipped up were the default desktop pictures. OS 9 also had an extensive library of tiled images, of which I have not grabbed due to laziness. Don't want to drag and drop into pictClippings. I can't for the life of me find where the scrapbook file of these things is -- I haven't yet checked the "Additional Desktop Patterns" on the system CD, but... oh well.

The first is a desktop picture that I included in the zip, the second is a tiled image that I did *not* include in the zip as it was a desktop pattern.

EDIT: Ummm eww at the thumbnailing of attachments. It doesn't work nearly as well as it used to... :(

Attachments

• Mac OS Background.jpg
    Mac OS Background.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 8,640
  • Mac OS Default.png
    Mac OS Default.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 11,155

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Do you want the pictures and the tiled images or just the desktop pictures?

If it's the latter, I've upped them here:

http://whitem.ath.cx/tmp/os9_desktops.zip

If it's the former, I'm going to have to try to scrape my brain remembering where they're located (I'd rather not have to make pictClippings of all the desktop patterns. :p)

Thanks for the link Lixivial, some cool Mac OS 9 desktops. :)

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Thanks! I actually wanted the purple'ish one, but the light colored one will do for now. If you can somehow get a hold of the purple'ish one, please let me know!

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
I included both in my previous post -- both were pulled straight from Mac OS 9 with no modification whatsoever. The purple one is not a desktop wallpaper -- it is an image that is used with the "Tile" option when setting a desktop. In other words, it's an image that's repeated over the entire span of the desktop. See this as an example (random Google image search):

http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/philosophy/projects/mac_os_9.jpg

EDIT: You're welcome, dmw007; I still use the light blue OS 9 desktop from time to time. Apple did a pretty good job with the OS 9 desktop pictures, in my opinion. :)

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I included both in my previous post -- both were pulled straight from Mac OS 9 with no modification whatsoever. The purple one is not a desktop wallpaper -- it is an image that is used with the "Tile" option when setting a desktop. In other words, it's an image that's repeated over the entire span of the desktop. See this as an example (random Google image search):

http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/philosophy/projects/mac_os_9.jpg

EDIT: You're welcome, dmw007; I still use the light blue OS 9 desktop from time to time. Apple did a pretty good job with the OS 9 desktop pictures, in my opinion. :)

Lixivial, Thanks so much! Exactly what I was looking for!

laoshi76

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Huntington Beach
Mac Wallpaper

I have been searching 4 ever to find the old mac wallpaper that was a picture of many blue and white colored glass bottles...it was my favorite and now i can't find it...

any ideas?

Thanks!

bengal85

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
USA
You could always type into like yahoo images or Google images you might find what you want there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.