Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
so, i just moved to chicago, and we got internet set up through comcast.

i hooked up my wireless router, and it works fantastic on my macbook pro. however, on my powermac g4, i can't load anything, even the router ip address. does anyone have any idea as to how i can get this to work properly? at my old place everything worked. I have a feeling its just a simple setting, but I don't know what setting it would be.

thanks much

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Could you provide more info concerning your network settings? Do you use Dynamic IP or static? Does your powerbook get an IP from the router or not? How does it compare to the settings on the mbp?

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
both get ip's, but when i try to load any webpage on the powermac, it just says the server has stopped responding.

according to my router set up, its a dynamic ip.

i have the settings set the same way on the powermac as on the mbp.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Could you post here both the Local IP Addresses of the two machines as well as the local IP address of the router? Try as well to ping (from Terminal) the router and see what happens?

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
router = 192.168.2.1
pm = .2
mbp = .3

i'm not big on using terminal commands, how would i ping the router?

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
the macbook pro got 56 data bytes

the powermac..... also got 56 data bytes.

funny thing is, i can network to the powermac, so i know the router works. i have a feeling its just one stupid setting. right now, i'm even transferring video files to the powermac. but the g4 just can't load a webpage.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
on the powermac, it comes up as saying "no route to host"

that looks like it would be important.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
for the google ping, it sees itsays it gets 56 databytes, does not say "no path to router".

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
WHOA!

you are awesome.

there were two proxies set "web proxy" and "secure web proxy".

what those do, i don't know, but i am now fully set up.

thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. now i can shut my laptop down at night when i want to run torrents or rip dvds via handbrake.

and with a 350 mhz g4, that takes a WHILE.
thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.