Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whowasthursday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Vancouver, Canada
Hi,

I'm wondering about whether my 12" Powerbook G4 (1.33 Ghz, 1.25 RAM, 60 GB, combodrive, airport express) will drop huge in value once Leopard is released. It's pretty new (still has a year and a half of Apple coverage) but I'm worried that Leopard will be run well on the intel-macs and no one will want to buy a computer that runs Tiger.

What do you think? Should I sell now before its not worth so much?

Thanks

Modjo

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2005
Well, it sure ain't obsolete. That still is a sweet machine. I have an iMac G4 800Mhz that runs Tiger atm (and you won't hear me complaining about it!), but will be running Leopard as soon as it comes out. ... now that's obsolete :)

Don't worry, go buy the new OS when it arrives, install it and it will run without a glitch. It ain't Vista you know ;)
Allthough i don't know the exact minimum specs Leopard desires, i'm sure you'll be well in the "Recommended" category.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
that should still run leapord just fine when it comes out, and i doubt its value will drop signifiacantly.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
It's already obsolete from a tech point of view. Then again my CD Macbook Pro is also obsolete.

You're not going to get left out in the cold with Leopard. I think that they finally cut the G3's off with Leopard, and since you have a G4 you'll be just fine.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I have the exact same powerbook, except 768Mb RAM and Superdrive. The answer to your question is both yes and no. Speed wise, it has become yesterday's tech faster than almost any computer with the new intel laptops. So, if this is to be your only computer, there is a huge upgrade to be had.

However, it remains the smallest laptop Apple have ever made, and IMHO is better finished and sturdier than the Macbooks. If you need something portable, then I still think that it is the best you can get. I wondered about selling mine, but realised that keeping it and getting a Mac Pro (or iMac) is a much smarter move - really the best of both worlds.

David

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Nothing is obsolete until you can't get anymore use out of it. I'm on my 1 ghz tibook and it still provides all the power I need. If it can't run the applications that I want then it's obsolete to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.