Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Are all of you happy with your 5.5g Ipod Video?
Looking to get one soon, once i sell off my 1st G 2gb nanos

SHould i get it now or wait for 'true' video ipod? 80gb or 30gb?
Are both 30gb and 80gb same thickness?

Retired
May 16, 2006
80 Gig is a bit bigger. I would wait, unless you're really unhappy with your nano. I personally don't like the latest iPod.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I like mine, but it's my first iPod. 80GB is excellent. you have a drive like in a 1st gen MBP in the palm of your hand. It's great.

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
at first, i thought i would buy a refub 5G to save money. somehow i decided to get the 5.5G. i'm happy so far. and never looked back

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
My brother has one, and the screen is SO much brighter than my "old" 5G 30GB iPod, the battery life is also longer;)

ClassicFitness

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I was in the same situation as you 2 weeks ago. I had a blue mini 6GB and I was thinking buying the video one. Wasn't sure about it. So I closed my eyes and bought it just like that. Now, I'm asking myself why I waited so long. It's a real jewel . I bought the 30GB and I can't imagine a better mp3 player. I was not sure if I would wait for the 6g, but don't forget that this next gen. player will cost a lot of money compare to the actual 5.5g.
So I would say....GO:p

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
80 Gig is a bit bigger. I would wait, unless you're really unhappy with your nano. I personally don't like the latest iPod.

I'm not really unhappy with my 1st gen ipod (2gb nano) but i just dont have enough space to store albums or podcasts that i listen to.

i would also like the ability to watch video pcasts on the go etc

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I'm amazed with its size. The 80GB is just so thin compared to my old 60GB iPod Photo. It makes the 60 gig look like a brick! It is a tiny bit bigger than the 30 gig.

The screen is great, not only in size but brightness. I keep it on the lowest setting to save battery life but you don't really need to. The battery life is good even at full brightness.

They still have to sort out some performance issues which have been reported by a lot of users. Things like browsing through a long list of albums/artists/songs results in jumpy and laggy scrolling. :( Not very nice, especially when you consider the good old 3rd gen iPod scrolled everything so much better. Even on its "Now Playing" screen, the song info is much easier to read. I take it these performance issues are a result of Apple trying to boost battery life, so they "cut corners" wherever they could. The new units go into the deep sleep mode earlier which is fine but making the scrolling all crap? BAH!

Most importantly though, the new iPods sound great. :) It's great to have gapless playback (FINALLY!)

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
to ya' all that have 30gb ipod, is it enuff space? whats the ACTUAL capacity when formatted? 27gb?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
to ya' all that have 30gb ipod, is it enuff space? whats the ACTUAL capacity when formatted? 27gb?

The actual capacity of a 30GB iPod is 30GB. However, computers incorrectly report binary storage capacities using SI units so you appear to lose ~7% of the advertised capacity. Your computer will report a little over 27GB for the capacity. It SHOULD say 27GiB to reflect the binary capacity but it doesn't. So on the computer 27GB is equivalent to 30 real gigabytes.

So to answer your question, yes, a little over 27 "gigabytes."

Mustafa

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Shenfield, Essex, UK
30gb ipod, is it enuff space?

It's enough if you have less than 30Gb in iTunes.

My 60Gb photo is full -- so I've had to stop doing a full sync, and select only those genres that I think I'll want to listen to. Slightly inconvenient, but just needs some discipline.

May spring for an 80Gb soon -- but mainly for the better screen and battery life.

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
ok... looking at refurb ipods

do they usually have problems at all? scratches etc.. will refurb ipod videos be 5.5g ones of 5g ones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.