Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mckvakk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Oslo, Norway
I went from an 12 inch iBook G4 with 1.2Ghz and 768MB ram to a white macbook CD 1.8Ghz with 512MB ram (waiting for my 1GB to come in the mail) and i just thought i'd share my experiences after 4 days of use.

It's thinner
The thinness is noticeable, even the box is 50% thinner :p

It's hotter,
I can feel the heat through my clothes. With the iBook i barely felt anything on bare skin. coreduotemp reports the temperature to be around 50-60 degrees celcius constantly. (i hope this is normal?)

It's not much faster
I can't say that i notice things go any faster, this however may be because i'm used to my CD mini with 1GB ram and hopefully will change when i get 1.2GB ram in the laptop.

It's brighter
Sometimes so bright that i feel it's hurting my eyes, and even brighter than my HDTV on full brightness.

It's widescreen
I love this feature. I watch a lot of tv series and now i can have full screen goodness even on the go :D

Keyboard is weird
This keyboard takes some getting used to, i still miss some keystrokes after four days of heavy use

Well, that's about all i can think of right now. Can't say i notice any big faults on it, other than some weird plastic around the camera (you can push the plastic in so it clicks), the battery seems 0.5mm too thin, and most of the edges around the laptop, included the edges around the openings for the ports and DVD-Drive feels sharp, like you're gonna scratch or cut yourself.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Thanks for that. :)

I haven't lived with one but would be interested to know, how do you find the magnetic lid catch? I rarely shut my iBook down, even when I'm on the move. The MacBook's magnetic catch has me worried that if not stored exactly right, it might pry open and wake the machine which wouldn't be great for the internals. My girlfriend has a MacBook and she seems to think it's fine but she's not the type of gal to really ever know what I'm talking about anyway.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
mad jew,
The magnetic latch is 2 magnets on either side of the lid. It holds it very well, and needs positive pressure to open it. You can pick up the whole laptop with the lid and it won't open.

mckvakk,
brightness: F1
speed: If you are comparing to a 1.66 CD, the 1.83 shouldn't really be noticeably faster. Maybe if you run a 5 minute task, you'll see it happen in 4.5 minutes.
edges: Grab some 200 grit sandpaper and tone them down a bit.
screen bezel clicking: Ours has a spot like this, too. Not real happy about that. I just try not to touch it.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I also am the proud owner of an iBook g4. After playing around with my friend's macbook (her usage of it is overkill btw., she uses it for word and that's it) and using it like I use my iBook, it's equally slow and nonresponsive. I am wondering how much of this is RAM-related though.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It's RAM related. My MB is much faster than my 1Ghz 12" PowerBook with 1.25 GB of RAM. I have a MB with 1.5 GB of RAM, and encoding an mp3 in iTunes is much faster, for example. iPhoto runs faster. Dang, things are just faster.

A fast car on 1st gear isn't going to be faster than a small, weak car on 4th gear. Get more RAM and it'll be fine.

@Jewwy: My MB has never pryed open, and I carry to uni every day. On top of that, I'm also Canadian, so the fact that nothing bad has happened accidentally is a surprise.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It's RAM related. My MB is much faster than my 1Ghz 12" PowerBook with 1.25 GB of RAM. I have a MB with 1.5 GB of RAM, and encoding an mp3 in iTunes is much faster, for example. iPhoto runs faster. Dang, things are just faster.

Those things are processor related. The processor in the MacBook is leaps and bounds ahead of the G4 in an iBook.

The extra RAM makes switching between apps faster, cuts down on page outs to the HDD etc. Encoding and importing doesn't really rely on RAM, especially since iTunes and iPhoto are Universal. More RAM makes running apps in Rosetta a much nicer experience as it doesn't have to do the slow translations from the HDD but rather from the much faster RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.