Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Hi,

I read in another forum that the 12" 1.33ghz iBook's HDD may make some noise from the Sudden Motion Sensor feature. Is this true? Also, how would you describe the overall noise level of this machine?

Thanks!

operator

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Canada
It is VERY quiet all the time. In over a year of use, the fans only came on a few times, as the temp only exceeded 65 a few times despite heavy usage. Even with fans on, it is very quiet. If you listen very closely, you sometimes hear odd sounds from the drive --- plink or plonk type sounds. I once read they are normal. Overall, you never hear this machine running, unless your ear is practically resting against it.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
I have read somewhere in the case where there is little activity on the computer, the computer will automatically park the HDD's head to prevent damage should a sudden movement occur.

My C2D's HDD clicks (sounds like the head parking..easily noticable) if i let it sit.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003

operator

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Canada
Yes, I also have this issue on this iBook. It often takes 2-3 seconds for a volume adjustment to happen. Once the volume does change, you can turn it up and down without any delays. The delays only seem to happen if you haven't adjusted the volume for awhile. The issue happens on both power and battery. But it's really no big deal - certainly not something to keep you from getting an iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.