Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
The button for multi-quote is new, isn't it? I am probably a retard, but I don't know how it works.

The links to posts within quotes are fairly new as well, I think. That I understand and it's quite cool. I haven't seen that anywhere else, is this forum from the future or something?

Edit: Now I see you can hit multi-quote from more than one post, but I was thinking you could quote from the entry you are responding to, while including the quote within that post. I guess that's not the intention.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
When you've clicked on the multi quote button on all the post you want to respond to (in a given thread), just hit the Post Reply button and start responding, the new post window will have all the quotes ready for you... it's that easy... :)

Reactions: ron7624

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yep...those two features are standard in vBulletin 3.6.2. It's been out for a while now, but MacRumors was just upgraded to it about three weeks ago.

Looks like you've got it figured out, but yes, the multi-quote enables you to easily include quotes from multiple posts in a single reply so that you don't end up with a bunch of posts in a row when responding to several previous posts. It has nothing to do with allowing you to quote quotes in another post...that would still have be done manually, and should be done sparingly, as it gets messy very quickly.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Tip 1: As a shortcut, for the last post you want to quote you can press the Quote button
quote.gif
rather than the multi-quote button
multiquote_off.gif
button and the Post Reply
reply.gif
button.

Tip 2: You can select posts to multi-quote across the pages of a thread.

Tip 3: You can select posts to multi-quote in any order. The order will be preseved in your post.

Tip 4: If you select many posts to multi-quote and then change your mind, you can go back to each one and un-multi-quote select it. As easier way when you have many posts is to go to any other thread, click the Post Reply button, click "deselect these posts" under the text area, and then close that tab or window without submitting.

Reactions: ron7624
L

Lau

One really good thing about all those sort of features is that you can try them out without making a post. You can try clicking the multi-post buttons, and all sorts of other stuff and then click on "Preview Post" rather than "Submit Reply" and see what it looks like.

Even if you were to make a wrong post, you can click on this
report.gif
on the post next to yours and say that you'd like your post deleted (as you can't report your own post). Or, you can also go in and edit your post later if you've made a mistake. There'll always be a smartass who'll make a sarcastic comment if you've posted by mistake, but I'd ignore them if I were you. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Even if you were to make a wrong post, you can click on this
report.gif
on the post next to yours and say that you'd like your post deleted (as you can't report your own post)
I think that unfortunate "feature" has now been fixed so you can report your own posts. That makes thinks simpler.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
The button for multi-quote is new, isn't it? I am probably a retard, but I don't know how it works.

The links to posts within quotes are fairly new as well, I think. That I understand and it's quite cool. I haven't seen that anywhere else, is this forum from the future or something?

Edit: Now I see you can hit multi-quote from more than one post, but I was thinking you could quote from the entry you are responding to, while including the quote within that post. I guess that's not the intention.

When you've clicked on the multi quote button on all the post you want to respond to (in a given thread), just hit the Post Reply button and start responding, the new post window will have all the quotes ready for you... it's that easy... :)

Yep...those two features are standard in vBulletin 3.6.2. It's been out for a while now, but MacRumors was just upgraded to it about three weeks ago.

Looks like you've got it figured out, but yes, the multi-quote enables you to easily include quotes from multiple posts in a single reply so that you don't end up with a bunch of posts in a row when responding to several previous posts. It has nothing to do with allowing you to quote quotes in another post...that would still have be done manually, and should be done sparingly, as it gets messy very quickly.

Works fine for me

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
FYI, I tried to quote the same post twice (yours) by clicking the multi-quote button and THEN the Reply button, but vBulletin detected my evil trick and and quoted it only once.

vBulliten. Is there anything it can't do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.