Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
I have a PPC Mac mini (specs in my sig), and it won't start up. Here's what it does: It shows the grey apple on the grey background, it goes into the logon screen (or whatever you call that thing where it says Mac OS X is starting up - the one with the window with the huge apple logo in silver), then it loads the bar until it's full and stays there. the mouse pointer works, the bar is in motion, and the computer is silent. Just that little hum.

I'm freaking out. All my stuff is on there :( please help

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
When you switch it on do you hear the 'chime'?

Also, if you do, try holding Shift when booting (Takes quite a while, keep holding it), should boot into Safe Mode (Or something of the likes) and you'll be able to see if that works.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Update: It does chime, it shows the grey apple plus spinning thing, and then the blue screen and that window where it says mac os x starting up (words may differ, I'm translating this off the top of my head), and it loads and stuff and then it stops.
I tried booting the CD, ran the disk utility, repaired it. It concluded that minor repairs had to be made on the boot header or some other header and another thing. That didn't change anything.
Safe mode doesn't work, it doesn't get past the grey screen.

Can I somehow reinstall Mac OS X but keep ALL my files without an external HD (i don't own one and don't know anybody who does)?

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
Can I somehow reinstall Mac OS X but keep ALL my files without an external HD (i don't own one and don't know anybody who does)?

Sure, just check "Archive and install" on the options menu (a little button on the bottom left of the installer window) when you are reinstalling the OS. It saves everything, just overwrites the system files.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Sure, just check "Archive and install" on the options menu (a little button on the bottom left of the installer window) when you are reinstalling the OS. It saves everything, just overwrites the system files.
It worked, thanks! I put the CD in, set the options, started the install and went away. I came back after a half hour to check the progress, and I was already greeted by the matrix screensaver i had all along. Windows has really made me bitterly realistic. I guess I'll have to get used to not going into terror once my computer doesn't work ;)

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
It worked, thanks! I put the CD in, set the options, started the install and went away. I came back after a half hour to check the progress, and I was already greeted by the matrix screensaver i had all along. Windows has really made me bitterly realistic. I guess I'll have to get used to not going into terror once my computer doesn't work ;)

Good news, now how about setting up a regular backup and avoid even mild terror :eek:

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Good news, now how about setting up a regular backup and avoid even mild terror :eek:
I am doing that, but after this, I will do it more regularly (that is, more often). I hope to be getting a big LaCie for Xmas, guess what I'll use that for
:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.