Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BioModeller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Hi,
I am looking to buy a 2nd hand 12" G4 Powerbook. Does anyone have any ideas on:
a) Where I could purchase 1.
b) The amount I should be paying one
c) If anyone has a spare that I could buy?!

Thanks for any help.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
http://www.ebay.com

Spend whatever you think is fair.

I'd say $600-700 is fair for a rev. C. If you want the newest revision with plenty RAM and HDD, you should perhaps shell out more than a grand.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
can anyone tell me how much is "fair"?

Well, the problem with eBay is that things vary - significantly.

For example, someone here just mentioned spending over $1000 for the latest revision. I wouldn't spend that at all (I put wait and invest in a MacBook for a little more).

Lets compare that to what I recently got (all be it with some clever bidding and using eBay at the best time - the most anti-social hours!)

My specs:
Powerbook G4 15" 1.33Ghz,
512MB RAM,
60GB HDD,
COMBO drive,
IMMACULATE condition,
Brand NEW battery + spare,
Original charger + brick,
Original Restore discs included.

All for... ~$550 (shipped to UK)

YMMV.

I wouldn't spend more than $750 on a late revision PB 12" but most would probably pay up to $900.

Thanks, David

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Cheers David,
Very helpful and informative. Off to ebay I go...

Glad I could help...

Another thing about buying on eBay though... (sorry if you already know this)

1. Only buy from sellers with good feedback.

2. If it looks too good to be true, it usually is. (This is a huge generalisation though - look at what I got and the seller could not hve been more genuine.)

3. I would only ever buy from sellers who could offer Paypal Buyer Protection Policy (ties in with their member status - if this is displayed on their page, you should be good to go).

4. Only ever pay with Paypal (or collect with cash in person if local).

5. Don't ever enter into communication outside of eBay (avoid listings where they ask you to email them at whatever@whatever.com - always use the 'ask seller a question' button).

6. Avoid being led into deals outside of eBay because of price or any other reason seller gives you.

7. Make sure you know what you are buying, and check out condition/packaging/install discs etc... if these things matter to you.

HTH, David

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
My specs:
Powerbook G4 15" 1.33Ghz,
512MB RAM,
60GB HDD,
COMBO drive,
IMMACULATE condition,
Brand NEW battery + spare,
Original charger + brick,
Original Restore discs included.

All for... ~$550 (shipped to UK)

Wow how did you manage to get it for that little?

miniguu

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
*shameless plug* I recommend the PB in my sig. PM me if interested, and I'll send details. :p

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
I'm finding that prices vary on the 12". I just sold my 12" on here for $950+shipping. But I miss it sooo freaking much that I compulsively bought another one on eBay earlier today. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.