Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Has anyone ever heard of such a mod?

You can't do it.

The graphics components are soldered and incorporated into the logic board - the PowerBooks (and iBooks, MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Mac mini and 17" and 20" iMacs) don't have graphics "cards" as such, the bits are just merged into the logic board design.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
You can't do it.

The graphics components are soldered and incorporated into the logic board - the PowerBooks (and iBooks, MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Mac mini and 17" and 20" iMacs) don't have graphics "cards" as such, the bits are just merged into the logic board design.

i meant with some resoldering - not saying i could do that - but if i could, could the logic board theoretically support it? looking for EE's or CE's to answer this lil question for an ME :)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
no.

im no electrical engineer but ive seen hard soldered chips like these GPUs before.

there is absolutely NO way you could remove the GPU from the board.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
no.

im no electrical engineer but ive seen hard soldered chips like these GPUs before.

there is absolutely NO way you could remove the GPU from the board.

im sure it wouldnt be the easiest thing to do, but im just curious to kno if a hardware swap would do it, or if there are firmware/driver differences that would just not allow this to work

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
It can't be done. Period. End of story.

If it is an academic exercise and we are going to make the assumption (albeit a false one) that the GPU could be swapped between the machines, we would have to know which 12" PB and which 15" PB as there are many different revisions with a few different GPU's.

But it is quite pointless as it can't be done. The GPU is surface mounted. There aren't pins sticking out the other side of the logic board that you could desolder.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the graphics "chip" isn't just one chip. It's a series of many pieces all soldered onto the motherboard. Sure, you could remove all of them, but you'd end up with a paperweight and some change.

And I am an engineer (albeit not an EE).

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
It can't be done. Period. End of story.

If it is an academic exercise and we are going to make the assumption (albeit a false one) that the GPU could be swapped between the machines, we would have to know which 12" PB and which 15" PB as there are many different revisions with a few different GPU's.

But it is quite pointless as it can't be done. The GPU is surface mounted. There aren't pins sticking out the other side of the logic board that you could desolder.
that answers my question :)
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.