Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Hey,

My G5 power mac has a standard CD burner in it that came with it when I got it - its given up the ghost. So I am going to replace it with a DVD Burner. Would I be right in thinking I can throw any DVD Burner in there? If i get the latest Pioneer Tray loading burner, that would slot right in there no problems right?

Quick answer needed as need to order this soon as :)

Cheers!

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
NO, you have to make sure that your replacement drive is fully bootable.

Generally all Pioneer drives do quite well, but you should check the
drive compatabilty database at xlr8yourmac.com just to be sure.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
I don't want an external drive, I want to replace the internal borked one.

That website is not loading at the moment - can nobody give me some Drives that will defo work so that I can order it?

Its actually my collegues mac at work - I need to tell the tech guy what to order exactly or he'll order the wrong drive.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I don't want an external drive, I want to replace the internal borked one.

That website is not loading at the moment - can nobody give me some Drives that will defo work so that I can order it?

Its actually my collegues mac at work - I need to tell the tech guy what to order exactly or he'll order the wrong drive.

I have a Pioneer 110D (i think) its a dual layer superdrive supported by OSX. I upgraded from a Pioneer 109 (i think) :D

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
'patchburn' helps to use a lot of burners, like a universal driver, pioneers are best for macs generally when upgrading, look here: xlr8yourmac.com, there good

Greenjeens

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2005
California
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.