Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Hi everyone,

Can someone please help me find a freeware program to convert a non-copyright WMA file into an MP3 I can import into my Mac's iTunes?

I looked on versiontracker and found 2 but one turned out to be a dumb demo that would only allow 12 seconds of conversion, and the other one looked like it was meant for something else :p

Help?

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
ffmpegX should do the trick. Haven't used it for WMA files but it does WMV files to mpegs perfectly. just choose the preset option "audio file to mp3".

This program is 50mb and wants me to install multiple codecs and "binary" stuff?! :(

Overkill. I need to convert one song and thats it! This software is too confusing and bulky for that. Thanks for trying though. :)

Tried this one and it does not seem to support WMA files.

Anyone else care to suggest one?

:eek:

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
Hi everyone,

Can someone please help me find a freeware program to convert a non-copyright WMA file into an MP3 I can import into my Mac's iTunes?

I looked on versiontracker and found 2 but one turned out to be a dumb demo that would only allow 12 seconds of conversion, and the other one looked like it was meant for something else :p

Help?

well i have just what you want. it's called tunebite, its for os x and windows. its an awesome program, it even takes off protection(like napster preview downloads, haven't done it though). I just discovered it. Im not sure about the price, you'll have to look it up because there are different version. but its a great program, and I DID NOTICE THAT YOU SAID FREEWARE. I just wanted to give my 2 cents.

well nevermind just read this for os x
This vulnerability report for Tunebite 3.x contains a complete overview of all Secunia advisories affecting it. You can use this vulnerability report to ensure that you are aware of all vulnerabilities, both patched and unpatched, affecting this product allowing you to take the necessary precautions.

If you have information about a new or an existing vulnerability in Tunebite 3.x then you are more than welcome to contact us.

I was using the windows version.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Go here:

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/plus.html

The program is called switch and I used it to turn about 70 WMAs into iTunes Mp3s. I think it's trial software, but if you're just using it for one file, you shouldn't have a problem. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help but it didn't work. :( Seems like the perfect program if it worked as promised :mad:

This is the error I get when I start to convert:
2004957538833186324_rs.jpg

...so I go to the web site as instructed, and this weird random "mp3el" thing to install only comes in .exe format. I'm on a MAC! I can't do anything with their EXE file! :(

Does anyone just wanna do me a small favor and convert this darn song for me? I'm having no luck here on my own even though I am trying :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I don't happen to know a program on OS X... I don't use WMAs and never really have... but if you still have access to a Windows box, iTunes on Windows is the easiest solution by far.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23003

Product Description:
EasyWMA allows you to convert wma, asf and wmv audio files to aiff, mp3, m4a or wav so that you can play your favorite songs in iTunes or any other player on your Mac. EasyWMA can be helpful if you need to play wma files on your iPod!

EasyWMA has a very simple user interface, full drag and drop support, and can even do batch processing to convert your whole library of wma songs in one click. It's also super easy to install : just a simple application to drag and drop on your harddisk.

Main features
Input formats : wma, asf, wmv, wav
Output formats : aiff, m4a, mp3, wav
Manual or automatic bit rate selection from source (32-320kbps)
Batch processing
Drag & drop of files and folders
ID3 tags support
iTunes integration

This used to be free, so maybe you can find an older version somewhere, like bittorent. This version is $10.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thanks for the help but it didn't work. :( Seems like the perfect program if it worked as promised :mad:

...so I go to the web site as instructed, and this weird random "mp3el" thing to install only comes in .exe format. I'm on a MAC! I can't do anything with their EXE file! :(

Does anyone just wanna do me a small favor and convert this darn song for me? I'm having no luck here on my own even though I am trying :p

There are .exe files on Macs. ;) But they do totally separate things.

antdfsc

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
Mass
If you can play the file, get Audio Hijack. It lets you open any program and record its audio. I have used it for recording streaming audio, as well as sound clips from movies, it might do the trick. If not this might be a long shot, but you could try MPEG Streamclip, it lets you bring in all different types of files, and then export them to Quicktime, which would make converting to an MP3 easy... I dont have any WMA to test it with, but it might be worth a try.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
I don't happen to know a program on OS X... I don't use WMAs and never really have... but if you still have access to a Windows box, iTunes on Windows is the easiest solution by far.

This is what I ended up doing. You're right, it was the easiest, by far.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help, guys!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Thanks for all the suggestions and help, guys!

You're welcome! :) I'm glad something worked. I think certain WMP codecs or bad wrapping in the WMA format gives Macs trouble, and fail to work with these converters. I'm pretty sure iTunes for Windows uses MS's in-built WMP APIs, and let's MS do the dirty work for it, leading to a higher success rate....

dandandandan

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2008
update

just in case anyone is looking still (i found this discussion whilst googling for wma to mp3 conversion), switch works fine but you also have another program installed too. check this guide which explains it all. it's very simple. and both progs are FREE. cheers!

tncdel

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Switch didn't work for me

I tried Switch. It did nothing with the wma file I tried to convert to an mp3.

Anyone who formats in exe files knows a Mac user can't do anything with them except drag them to the trash and delete them. So why don't they use formats both Macs and PCs can use?

I was hoping someone would create a simple converter. In my opinion wma should be discarded as a format, and mp3 used by everyone, since it is universal in the sense that both Mac and PC can use them.

catwink21

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
Sound Converter

SoundConverter and Amadeus Pro will both do the trick. I use Amadeus because it has more functional options and VST's. They both cost but all upgrades are free for both, so it's a trade off you should be able to live with.

givingjane

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
Wow, Switch is great. I'm DJing a wedding this weekend, and the bride gave me a cd full of WMA's to play (not recognized by Ableton Live). Switch is doing the dirty work for me.

staninfrance

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
Switch worked for me, too.

I just downloaded and installed Switch on my MacPro, converted in a batch about 12 WMP's to MP3 simply and quickly.

Thanks for the Switch recommendation.:apple:

kathpdx

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
northwest
I just downloaded and installed Switch on my MacPro, converted in a batch about 12 WMP's to MP3 simply and quickly.

Thanks for the Switch recommendation.:apple:

DITTO the thanks from Staninfrance! I have lecture audio files that are WMA and I need to get them to MP3... SWITCH is at the job right now! FINALLY!

Thanks for this thread!:)

larueket

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
I know this post is old, but if anyone is looking (as I was) you can use All2MP3. This is free, and I have used it without problem.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
um i know this is long deadish.. but have you ever considered just using an "online" converter. for example the famous: zamzar.com can convert literally any file you want [i think].. but it does do .wma to .mp3 [i just tried ;)]
just saying. if it was for one :) then you know online is the easy way to go.. [ or if you have like 5... still i would go online... but if you have like 10+go for programs lol!

jeepnjava

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
um i know this is long deadish.. but have you ever considered just using an "online" converter. for example the famous: zamzar.com can convert literally any file you want [i think].. but it does do .wma to .mp3 [i just tried ;)]
just saying. if it was for one :) then you know online is the easy way to go.. [ or if you have like 5... still i would go online... but if you have like 10+go for programs lol!

Thank You Shayam - Too bad this one wasn't posted earlier - Love this site!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.