Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
I've seen a number of desktops posted in the picture section that have different icons for the hard drive. I have a MacBook Pro, and would like to replace the stock HDD icon with an icon of a MacBook Pro. Where do I find such an icon, and how do I replace it? Thank You

Retired
May 16, 2006
Right (secondary) click the HD icon. Click 'get info'. Copy the icon you want to replace it with, click the pick in the top left of the 'get info' pane, and paste. Voila!

Reactions: JorgieMacPro

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Right (secondary) click the HD icon. Click 'get info'. Copy the icon you want to replace it with, click the pick in the top left of the 'get info' pane, and paste. Voila!

Would you mind giving a little more detail. I'm not sure what you mean by "click the pick in the top left of the 'get info' pane". Thank you

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Thank you. Also, how do I enlarge the icon. I was able to change it, but it still is small.

skyy

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2005
Cmd-J, or View > Show View Options. The 'Icon Size' slider is right at the top. :)

philgreg

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
Changing drive icons - macbook Pro

Yeah, i have managed to change my icon to the macbook one....but i also want to change the icon for my windows drive ....

I found a good one...but it wont let me chnge this icon...any ideas?

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
if you are running leopard and your boot camp partition is in ntfs format it is not as simple as the get info copy and paste method... stick in a usb stick in mac os x, and paste the icon you want your windows drive to be on the usb stick (copy your desired icon, get info on usb stick, select current icon in top left so its highlighted, paste icon)... then boot into windows, open the usb drive and set folder to show hidden files (tools > folder options > select view tab > select show hidden files and folders)... then drag .VolumeIcon.icns and ._ file into your c:/ .. then hide hidden files and folders in windows again then reboot into mac os x and see the nice new icon... (note this does not change the icon on the boot loader screen, if anyone knows how to do this let me know) i attached pictures of my icons on my mbp

Attachments

• icons.jpg
    icons.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 47,703

illuminous

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
I managed to change the icon, but how do I now change the drive name "Untitled" to "Windows HD"

.fred

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
if you are running leopard and your boot camp partition is in ntfs format it is not as simple as the get info copy and paste method... stick in a usb stick in mac os x, and paste the icon you want your windows drive to be on the usb stick (copy your desired icon, get info on usb stick, select current icon in top left so its highlighted, paste icon)... then boot into windows, open the usb drive and set folder to show hidden files (tools > folder options > select view tab > select show hidden files and folders)... then drag .VolumeIcon.icns and ._ file into your c:/ .. then hide hidden files and folders in windows again then reboot into mac os x and see the nice new icon... (note this does not change the icon on the boot loader screen, if anyone knows how to do this let me know) i attached pictures of my icons on my mbp

Could you explain this part again?

illuminous

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
.fred,

1. Locate the icon you want
2. Plug in a USB stick
3. When the volume appears on your desktop right click --> get info
4. Right click ---> get info on the icon you want for your windows partition
5. Copy the icon
6. Paste on the usb stick icon

Then just follow the rest of the steps in the previous post

.fred

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
Help!

Problem- when i paste the icon, it only shows a preview like thing saying PNG..Help?

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
to change the windows drive name from untitled simply boot into windows and open my computer... right click on C: and select properties... and change name under general tab

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Just gonna bump this...

I can't change my Mac HD icon. I know how and have been doing it for months (using candybar) but suddenly I just can't. I can change my windows partition icon, and the icon does change (because when I boot up into windows I can see the Mac HD icon and it is changed) but it will not change at all on the desktop. I tried changing it by doing it through the get info panel but does not work either.

Why??? :(

csa9

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
Hey just fixed that problem on snow leopard...go to "get info" for your hd, scroll to the bottom and go into the sharing & permission section. Under Name: everyone the Privilege needs to be Read & Write. That should do it.

klouud

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Followed this to a T - will not work.

Process:
use .icns file to replace stock USB stick icon
Boot into WinVista
"show hidden files"
Copy 2 files specified to root of Vista and XP from modded USB stick (NTFS/FAT)
"hide hidden files"
Reboot into OSX 10.6.4
nothing...

I can change any other icon except the Windows icons. plz help

tim

kinesin

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
I know it's an old thread, but I've hand similar issues.

I just purchased a kindle that mounts in OSX as USB device with a standard white volume icon, but I wanted it to show a real Kindle icon. Using the 'Get-info, copy/paste' method just left the volume as Preview ICNS image (Preview icon, with ICNS in text under it). This is on SL 10.6.8.

I ended up fixing it by opening terminal and manually overwriting the .VolumeIcon.icns on the Kindle's filesystem root.
Code:
Kinesin$ cp /Users/Kinesin/Downloads/GraphiteKindle.icns /Volumes/Kindle/.VolumeIcon.icns

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.