Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi,

I know this might be too much to ask, but I really need some help with this.

As my skills in the field of art are limited to photography, photoshop and web design, I'm really at a loss with this one.

As part of my placement I am teaching the topic of transport to young children. What I need is as follows:

A very basic 'sketch' design of the outline of the back of a car.
Not a whole car, but just a black sketched outline as seen from the back on a plain white background (Imagine looking at the back of a VM Beetle for example).
Would prefer it saved as a .tif/.psd/.jpeg

I realise I'm asking something of people I hardly know and completely understand if you can't be bothered.

Thanks,
David

EDIT: Ideally I need this in the next few hours or by the end of the night (for me, thats 5 hours away)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Someone ran into that fun "Hey, I'm typing and pushed tab and HOLY WTF I POSTED" thing. ;) Don't go away mate, we'll be back when you finish typing your post.

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
how do you say... ahh yes.. clipart.
just goto veer.com or istock.com and do a search for car with vector selected.. you will be able to preview any images at a size that maybe good enough to just copy from, or most vector graphics on there are only $1 and can be fully manipulated. Why so hesitant to bring out the pen and paper and trace a magazine ad?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Yeah, check clipart & iStock. Why not go take a pic of the back of a car and in PS make it look sketched? Here are a few I found on iStock:

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
how do you say... ahh yes.. clipart.
just goto veer.com or istock.com and do a search for car with vector selected.. you will be able to preview any images at a size that maybe good enough to just copy from, or most vector graphics on there are only $1 and can be fully manipulated. Why so hesitant to bring out the pen and paper and trace a magazine ad?

Tracing a magazine ad would be against copyright whilst the stock websites didn't have what I was looking for.

Thanks anyway,
David

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
Tracing a magazine ad would be against copyright whilst the stock websites didn't have what I was looking for.

Thanks anyway,
David

You are really concerned with violating copyright by tracing from a magazine ad? :eek:

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
You are really concerned with violating copyright by tracing from a magazine ad? :eek:

As a photographer, yes I am very concerned with copyright. It's not just about 'ads', but any image that I don't have the rights to.

Keep in mind that images used in 'ads' are normally someone's work...

David

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
That sounds ridiculous. Tracing a generic shape from a picture to make an illustration can't possible be a violation of copyright. I can only imagine it to be in violation of anything if the shape is a registered trademark or something like that.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
That sounds ridiculous. Tracing a generic shape from a picture to make an illustration can't possible be a violation of copyright. I can only imagine it to be in violation of anything if the shape is a registered trademark or something like that.

I really don't want to get into a copyright argument.

I only asked people for help. It's funny how more people are capable of being antagonistic than actually having some helpful input (although I'm grateful to those who did).

Is this what forums are about now? The slightest excuse to make a deal out of something?

David

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Sorry, if I knew how to draw well, I'd help you. Could you post a rough sketch of what you had in mind. That'd probably make it easier for potential helpers.

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
I really don't want to get into a copyright argument.

I only asked people for help. It's funny how more people are capable of being antagonistic than actually having some helpful input (although I'm grateful to those who did).

Is this what forums are about now? The slightest excuse to make a deal out of something?

David

I wonder how many ad designers would be bothered by a violation of copyright of tracing one of their pieces of work to use as an educational tool for kids - not many I would imagine. Also, I dont know about the US but in the uk I'm sure there is the concept of 'fair usage' where you are allowed to make limited copies of stuff for educational purposes. Could be wrong though.

Wasn't meaning to be antagonistic just genuinely amazed that anyone would even consider it an issue.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I wonder how many ad designers would be bothered by a violation of copyright of tracing one of their pieces of work to use as an educational tool for kids - not many I would imagine. Also, I dont know about the US but in the uk I'm sure there is the concept of 'fair usage' where you are allowed to make limited copies of stuff for educational purposes. Could be wrong though.

Wasn't meaning to be antagonistic just genuinely amazed that anyone would even consider it an issue.

No problem mate ;)

(I'm in the UK btw.)

David

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Or, since you have photog. skills, shoot a car yourself, then trace the outline in Photoshop or Illustrator or what have you.

All you're after is to get the basic proportions correct.

If you do trace a published photo, you're almost assured to be covered by fair use anyway, in the case of 1) non-profit, 2) eductational, 3) limited distribution use of a 4) small portion (like, almost nothing) of a finished work.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Or, since you have photog. skills, shoot a car yourself, then trace the outline in Photoshop or Illustrator or what have you.

All you're after is to get the basic proportions correct.

If you do trace a published photo, you're almost assured to be covered by fair use anyway, in the case of 1) non-profit, 2) eductational, 3) limited distribution use of a 4) small portion (like, almost nothing) of a finished work.

Thanks, it's all sorted now.

The reason I didn't do the above, as by the time I realised what I was looking for (the time I started this thread), it was already dark outside and I needed it for the next morning.

So, I got up 2 hours early (still pretty dark...) and managed to get out and get what I was looking for. I then imported into PS and created a line drawing from it.

Thanks for the advice.

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.