Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kji

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Hello,

I'm making the move from Windows to Mac, and I keep running into these small problems that drive you nuts!!

I'm trying to use an HP printer hooked up to a WinXP computer, and according to the apple website it is a supported printer and my OSX 10.4.8 should include the drivers for it.

Well, I don't see it in the list of drivers under HP when I try to add the printer in the Printer Setup Utility.

I hoped that installing HP printing software would install the drivers but didn't work, and the HP software can't find the printer either.

After reading some info on Apple's website, I tried reinstalling the printer drivers from the OSX CD, but that didn't help either.

Can anyone help me find the driver for my printer?

Or maybe someone can look at their Printer Setup Utility and see if they have the drivers for my printer, which is;

HP OfficeJet 5510 (All-in-one)

Thanks in advance!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What happens if you use the OfficeJet 9100 Series driver? I couldn't find your printer in my list either so maybe try one of the generic ones, assuming HP doesn't provide a download. :)

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Make sure the printer is Shared in XP.

In Printer Setup Utility, Add Printer.

Try clicking on "More Printers..." (bottom of Printer Browser), then select "Windows Printing" from the top pop-up menu. You'll see the default "Workgroup", hopefully the printer will show up there.

edit: guess you installed their package, but it looks like Apple included it too. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303057 shows the 5510 in the list of included drivers.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Can anyone help me find the driver for my printer?

Or maybe someone can look at their Printer Setup Utility and see if they have the drivers for my printer, which is;

HP OfficeJet 5510 (All-in-one)

Thanks in advance!
Your shared printer is considered to be networked. You cannot use a USB print driver in a networked environment. You need a CUPS driver. This this one.

kji

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Thanks for all the suggestions :)

I actually have both problems in that

1)I can't find the printer driver in my list of drivers (which is strange because as someone pointed out it's supposed to be supported), and

2)I don't see my printer when I search through my Windows workgroup (my WinXP laptop had no problems so I'm assuming this isn't a general network sharing problem, but something specific on my mac).

I'll try the CUPS driver to see if it works.

Oh, and I did think about trying the OfficeJet 9100 series driver, but didn't have the guts :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.