Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
hi guys, i was wondering how i would go about hiding an application from appearing on the dock, so that when my parents come by, i can hide it, and they wont see that it is up and running... how can i go about doing this?

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Perhaps you should wait until they sleep to surf this kind of material?

Or perhaps, it it's legit, you should talk to them about respecting boundaries and not snooping into your personal stuff. There are some very positive ways to explain this to them, such that by the time you're done they'll respect you a lot more for speaking up.

Unless it's iChatting with that girl/boy again. I don't think they'll tolerate that.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
you could change the icon for the application. that way when it is open in the dock it will look like some other harmless application.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
a few options, sortof:

a) apple-h hides an application's windows. The dock icon will still be there, but does that really matter? The "material" you're viewing isn't visible.

b) make the dock auto-hide (alt-opt-d). Then they won't see the dock at all!

hope those help, maybe...

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
HowEver, the material is a game lol... not anything that i should not be doing.. i changing the icon might be something i could do.. but no other way to keep an icon from appearing in the dock.. hm...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I use Dockless and it works fine on my MBP Mac running 10.4.8

Thanks...good to hear from a current user. I've been hesitant to recommend it because it's so old and I haven't tested it myself, so I'll file your info away somewhere in my brain for the future.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Here's a simple idea if you don't want to use Dockless and don't want to hide your dock...just change the icon for the game to something innocuous like FireFox or Calculator :D

Retired
May 16, 2006
Here's a simple idea if you don't want to use Dockless and don't want to hide your dock...just change the icon for the game to something innocuous like FireFox or Calculator :D

I read that 5 times, thinking that you must have made a mistake with innocent...god I am tired...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.