Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majik37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
hey yesterday evening we had a power outage at my house, My G5 power mac was in sleep mode when the power went out. When the power came back on my mac came back on as if it were sleeping. The LED light in the front will stay on but the comp is non responsive. I 've tried holding the power button down for longer than 2 mins and nothing, I've tried unplugging everycord from the power mac and leaving it unplugged all night then this morning plugging everything back in and it still is non responsive, with the LED light still on. I am not hearing any nosie's coming from the power mac. I read on the apple website that it could be the PMU or SMU But I purchased the power mac late 2004 and as from what I read the only way to reset the PMU is to turn off the mac then unplug the mac and leave it unplugged for 2 mins then plugging it back in, If that were the case then leaving it unglugged all night should have reset it. I'm not sure yet as to if the power mac G5 has the SMU reset button or not because I'm at work. But if anyone has any other suggestons It would be of great help
Thanks,
Andy

Fredou51

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
I had a power outage too last night. Now, on to your question. You said it was unplugged all night, do you mean physically unplugged or just no power because of the power outage? If the latter, well, it could have suffered from a power surcharge when the power came back. Do you have a surge protector or a UPS?

Frederic

majik37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
The power was on by the time I unplugged everything. So yeah it was physically unplugged. But it was plugged in during the power outage, I have a surge protector

I had a power outage too last night. Now, on to your question. You said it was unplugged all night, do you mean physically unplugged or just no power because of the power outage? If the latter, well, it could have suffered from a power surcharge when the power came back. Do you have a surge protector or a UPS?

Frederic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.