Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
it seems in the past few weeks, my failure rate for burning DVDs has dramatically increased. Four out of five DVDs fails to be written now. I have two supplies of DVD here, from two different manufacturers.

Is this a hardware problem? I have trouble believing that my stack of Sony DVDs has a failure rate of 80%.

The error I'm getting is:

Attachments

• DVD.jpg
    DVD.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 89

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Sure seems like either a hardware problem or a dirty laser (of you've got a can of compressed air, you could try shooting some in). Is your G5 still under warranty? If not, replacements aren't all that expensive.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Yeah, it's still under AppleCare.

If it's a hardware problem, do you think it's likely that the Hardware Diagnostic disk would detect it?

I'll try the compressed air. It's probably better than a brick...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
If it's a hardware problem, do you think it's likely that the Hardware Diagnostic disk would detect it?
It depends... if it's an issue with the laser itself, then probably not, because the system would think it was working unless it were actually burning a disk. It's worth a shot, and you absolutely should contact Apple if the air doesn't work.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
While I'm glad that I have Apple Care, the thought of being without my primary computer for possibly weeks is depressing.

Not to mention the risk of lost data, etc...

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
While I'm glad that I have Apple Care, the thought of being without my primary computer for possibly weeks is depressing.

negatory moof! I had a problem with the DVD burner on my g4mdd1.25...had applecare..called.

new burner in 3 days with super, super easy install instructions.

call them!

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
I weep with joy at the thought of a new DVD burner without the separation anxiety.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

There should be zero risk of lost data because you would have backed it up. If not then you still don't have a "risk", more like a certainty that it will be lost.

Yu didn't say what kind of a G5 you have. But slot load "super drivers" sell for $100 and the larger ones used on the Power Macs sell for about $60. If you placed it your self that's what it would cost. I just bought a supper drive to put inside a Mac Mini that came with a combo drive. Was pretty easy.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Keebler, you are correct! Spent some time on the phone with AppleCare confirming that said DVD drive is hosed. They're sending a new one for me to install.

Sweet.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Keebler, you are correct! Spent some time on the phone with AppleCare confirming that said DVD drive is hosed. They're sending a new one for me to install.

Sweet.

right on moof. glad to be of help. i know the feeling about separation..i was crapping my pants until they said it would ship fast.

:)

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Well please post videos of it's demise.

My brother put some lightscribe drive in his old Sawtooth & it's working great except for lightscribe though :( I think the drive was a SONY?

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
OMG, my dad's imac G5 gave the same message! it won't burn cd's/dvd's:( But it is a few weeks out of warranty, and we don't get Apple Care in South Africa:mad:

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
dextertangocci said:
OMG, my dad's imac G5 gave the same message! it won't burn cd's/dvd's:( But it is a few weeks out of warranty, and we don't get Apple Care in South Africa:mad:

We reall need an alternative... Applecare is awesome, Core group sucks:(

Fredou51

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
We reall need an alternative... Applecare is awesome, Core group sucks:(

Here in Canada we have Applecare but not many Apple Store (well, not as many as in the US). In smaller cities, we have to deal with service provider and the times I had to deal with them, the service sucked so now when I have a problem, I drive two hours to get the nearest Apple Store.

Frederic

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
First, use a hammer, not a brick. Less chance of eye or hand injury,

Second, even if your machine is out of Applecare, new high performance DVD writers (for G4 and G5 towers, at least), are $35 - $40, and available from every computer and office supply store, so its not worth even breaking a sweat over it.

Go to http://www.xlr8yourmac.com and check the drive compatibility databases to see which models of third-party drives play nice with your Mac.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Amazing response from Apple!

I called Applecare yesterday about this frustrating DVD drive. After a brief period on the phone, the tech confirmed that the drive was worthy of being replaced and we arranged a replacement to be shipped to my house. I hung up the phone at 10:45 am yesterday.

DHL delivered the replacement drive today at 11:30 am.

Barely 24 hours later, I have the new drive in my hand!

Sweet!

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2006
That is great to hear. Apple so far is very good with replacing and fixing problem. They can usually overnight stuff for you out of their expense. However, I do feel they treat people with Apple Care nicer. Everytime I call in about a problem with my Apple Hardware, they will alway ask me if I have Apple Care and if I wanted one. Hmm..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.