Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianos101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
Philly Area
So I had to replace my 17" MBP's lcd yesterday (there was a big gash in it and since the lcd was super expensive i decided to take a stab at doing it myself--it was actually very easy) and since the whole top half of the computer was exposed i also decided to change the logo color! I was going for a deep shade of blue, and what look like that on a transparency appeared to be slightly purple, but still very awesome. It was very easy to get the panel off to get to the logo, so if it needs to go out for service it'll only take 20 min to remove my "warranty voider." :) Anyway, i just felt i should share my accomplishments... :D

applelogo.JPG

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
A picture in the dark showing it lit up would really be nice.

That looks awesome.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
Changing the Apple colour is my favourite Powerbook mod. I remember seeing one person who'd used several colours to create the old Apple rainbow logo.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
Changing the Apple colour is my favourite Powerbook mod. I remember seeing one person who'd used several colours to create the old Apple rainbow logo.

that was really cool looking. don't forget if you ever need to take/send it to Apple you need to undo that as they won't service it if they know you opened the case.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada

http://www.icolours.ca

It's actually my cousin's business. :eek:

Check it out! You can get whatever you want pretty much, colours, designs, patterns........ the original Apple logo all for a reasonable price.

Also the light does shine through it so you can change the level of brightness.

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
These are vinyl decals and are very easy to apply and remove. I got mine on e-bay. The light does show through. I bought the lime-yellow one.

pianos101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
Philly Area
Yeah it does light up. Couldn't get a good pic with my camera phone in the dark but i'll try to get a good one. It's obviously not as bright as the original white, but it's very distinguishable, esp in the dark. It was actually pretty simple...I just printed out a colored transparency (i've heard of icolors.ca but this was free :) ) and there's a little "slot" behind the logo that the gel fits perfectly into.

I know to remove it when I'm sending it in for service, but I already changed the LCD myself. From what I've heard as long as nothing else is broken the laptop's still under warranty (except my lcd, obviously). Anyone heard different (even though it's too late because the lcd's changed)?

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006

I am sure I am not the only one who has done this but maybe you saw mine when I posted.

Kevin

Attachments

• DSC02029.jpg
    DSC02029.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 622

afornander

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
i would love to see that done to a imac G5/intel;) to bad it wouldnt light up on an imac though:(

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
http://www.icolours.ca

It's actually my cousin's business. :eek:

Check it out! You can get whatever you want pretty much, colours, designs, patterns........ the original Apple logo all for a reasonable price.

Also the light does shine through it so you can change the level of brightness.

Any deals for MacRumor members if we decide to purchase? :D

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
i actually bought the old school rainbow decal from you cousin (I guess you said) about a month or so ago but have been fearful of actually installing it because of the whole "warranty void" - is it really difficult to add/remove? ie) does the original white logo plastic apple have to be removed or so it sit right on that? thanks! maybe after hearing about what others have done i'll be more inclined to actually do it to mine since the decal has been sitting on a shelf for a month!

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
i actually bought the old school rainbow decal from you cousin (I guess you said) about a month or so ago but have been fearful of actually installing it because of the whole "warranty void" - is it really difficult to add/remove? ie) does the original white logo plastic apple have to be removed or so it sit right on that? thanks! maybe after hearing about what others have done i'll be more inclined to actually do it to mine since the decal has been sitting on a shelf for a month!

As far as I know you leave the white logo part on. But if you ever need to send it in for repairs you can take it off so the warranty isn't voided. Hurry up and install it! :p
Also feel free to e-mail him (my cousin):
icolours at gmail dot com

pianos101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
Philly Area
Yeah, at least in the MBP's, theres the translucent plastic that's actually part of the case, and there's another thicker plastic translucent white piece that's foam-glued to the case. You just peel back that foam, slip the gel in, and stick it back down. The only hard part (and delicate too) is actually snapping the casing off.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Surely there's got to be one of these things that can go over the outside, rather than opening up the machine. A perfect-fitting electrostatic sort of colored gel (when I say gel I don't mean hair stuff I mean the material they used to alter light on film sets) that you slip over the logo.

Is that out there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.