Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joanna94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
I wonder if anyone knows what might be the problem with my daughter's ibook G4 ? Quite frequently it has started to completely freeze and after shutting it down and restarting (pressing power button), all that happens is a black screen and loud fans - any thoughts gratefully received.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What hardware does she have plugged in? Does she have third party RAM? What recent changes did she make to her system? Does she have at least 8GB of free space on the hard drive? Does this happen on battery power, adaptor power, or both? :)

Sorry for all the questions, but their respective answers may be able to help your daughter more thoroughly. :)

joanna94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Thanks for the reply - I'll check all those things - I know for a fact that the ibook has extra ram from apple as they put it in for me when I purchased it and I reckon space is fine - this problem seemed to happen after she started playing "addicting games" or whatever it's called and I just wonder if the system likes all those graphic intensive stuff!? Otherwise it works fine and has always worked well whilst I used it for a year before (the ibook's just over a year old now).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, the games are probably fine if they're not running. The great thing about OSX is that despite its interconnectivity, once an app is closed it can't really detract from your system performance. :)

joanna94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Thanks for that. I think I'll just keep an eye on when it's messing about and if that always relates to when she's playing games or if there's another app running which also sets it off.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Cool. Maybe keep Activity Monitor (in the Utilities folder) open. It shows where the Mac's CPU and RAM are being used and it might be able to forewarn you about a bad process before it freezes the machine. Make sure you select All Processes from the available drop down list though. :)

joanna94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Will do - thanks for all your advice, it's been very helpful. As yet, the problem seems to be held at bay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.