Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Hiya guys,
I am fairly new to the whole design thing and was wondeing how i could make icons. I have a few things that i want to make but i dont know if there are any specific programmes that are free. At the moment, i am trying to make them in photoshop but because they are irregular shapes, it automatically comes up with a white background on the thumbnail that is on the desktop. Can anyone please tell me how i can turn this off or a decent programme to use.

R

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
most likely your not exporting in a format that supports transparency. Is the background transparent in PS?

Try PNG.

Or there is an application called IconComposer that is part of the developer tools, which are part of OS X. Its free and does exactly what you want.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
It needs to be an .icns file. Make a 128x128 transparent .png in photoshop or fireworks, and use a program like iConverter to convert it.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I've been making .icns for a while, using them for applications, but what's an easy way to put those onto a file or folder? Never have found an easy way.

jW

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Just do an apple+I on both items and copy and paste the icon from one window to the other.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
No, the .icns files I create just have a generic .icns icon when I do that. I'm using Icon Composer here, btw, and the files it generates don't have the icon that I've designed as their own icon. I can replace an .icns file within an app with one of my own and it works great, and from there I can do that, but if I don't intend to put it on an app, it's a lot of work to do that and then undo it after I've copied the icon.

And just copying the png image from Fireworks or Preview doesn't seem to work either, it's got a white background and no transparency.

jW

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Hmm. You must be doing something wrong when you're generating it. Most .icns files function the way I described.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
What could I be doing wrong??? I simply put the png's in the appropriate slots, and hit save. The resulting file sometimes shows up with the icon as it's icon, but only superficially. I can't copy it from the Get Info window, because it's actually a generic icon (the reason it shows the icon is because I have Show Icon Preview on). Are you using a different tool than Apple's Icon Composer?

jW

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I use Iconographer. I tried others and had your same problem. I can't remember if your program was specifically one of them, though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.