Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomadix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Howdy folks:

Is possible to record from outside source - Mini disc ( digital ) or satelite radio - into my MAC

cheers thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Many MiniDiscs do NOT have a digital output - you can record through the analog stereo line or mic inputs any stereo source that matches the proper levels (these levels vary depending on which Mac)

In order to record digitally, you have to have a digital source with a TOSLINK optical output, and a Mac that has an Optical input. Otherwise, you can buy USB and FIrewire interfaces with ADAT optical, S/PDIF stereo inputs, Tascam TDIF 8 track digital connectors and AES/EBU connectors, depending on the source of the signal and how much money you can spend.

nomadix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Cheers thanks:

And interesting that Mini DISC's did very well in Canada but here in the US they are not well known

Thanks again for the input/ info

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I use the Sony MZ-RH1 to record onto Minidisc.

You can upload recordings you make onto the RH1 to a Mac via USB. Older 'standard' MD's need Boot Camp/Windows to launch Sonicstage, but they can also be uploaded via USB. It also works as (very slow) USB data storage.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I may be oversimplifying this, but if you're trying to take something you've already recorded on your Minidisc and record it to your Mac's harddisk, then I would say you can do this in real time by simply using a standard cord with two small jacks from the headset output on the Minidisc, to the line in on your Mac. Then you can use a free app like Audacity to record, and can export the file (for instance to mp3).

In my experience, you can do this fine with a Powerbook, but if you have a Mac Mini, you'll need something like the Griffin iMic. The input from the Minidisc then plugs into the mic port of the iMic (the iMic is USB).

Or did I completely misunderstand the question?? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.