Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
How can I print a document in a mirror image from Word? I thought maybe just save as a PDF, open in Preview and go to tools; flip horizontal, but for some reason its greyed out. Any Ideas?

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Try exporting the pdf from Preview as a jpeg. Those you can flip.

You My friend, are a genius!

Now..... how can you do a batch convert to PDF from Word....... And then a Batch save as JPEG in Preview... There are 84 documents, and doing them one by one is gonna take a long, long time!

(This is not actually for me, my mother is an English teacher and she is doing a project with her students where she has them write and illustrate poems, she prints them out on iron ons, and has them make pillows as Christmas presents for their parents. She does it every year, and runs into problems EVERY year, so I don't know why she keeps doing it! Guess she's just a good person :) Her school just upgraded to OSX [yes, I know, a bit late] and she could not get it to work at school. so she said [in her words] f*** it, i'm going to do it at home, on my printer. She still couldn't get it to work, so she calls me, her not so resident Mac Genius :) ) ((Little does she know, my Mac Geniusry is actually here!))

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Aw, shucks. ;)

This sounds like a job for Automater. I'm not enough of a Mac Genius to explain precisely how to build a script that does this, but I'm fairly certain it can be done. We do have some Automater experts around here though. Maybe they'll chime in.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
OK, so my mom just called, and it didn't work. it shows up as flipped, but prints as regular. I tried it myself, and even in print preview, it shows up regular. any ideas?

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
if only she wasn't 100 miles away, I'd just go up there, write a Photoshop droplet, get it done and have her happy!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If each of these are single pages, she could take a screenshot of the flipped image. The resulting PNG might be what she's after. Admittedly, that's a crap workaround so I'll get about finding a better one. :eek:

Or, she could print on semi-transparent (or even transparent) paper...

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
If each of these are single pages, she could take a screenshot of the flipped image. The resulting PNG might be what she's after. Admittedly, that's a crap workaround so I'll get about finding a better one. :eek:

Or, she could print on semi-transparent (or even transparent) paper...

That would be a lot! I'm going up there Saturday for Hanukkah anyway, so she said she can just wait until then.

As for the transparent paper, shes trying to print onto an iron on, which is why she needs it backwards in the first place. good idea though

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I've never used automator before but I figured this should be fairly simple to do. Turn's out it is. Here's how to do it.

First she needs to make sure that each poem is on its own page in one big word document. Then she can print to pdf and get a pdf of all the poems, each occupying it's own page.

Next she needs to make and run the automator script:

1: Ask for Finder Items (She'll point it to the pdf she just made)
2: Render PDF pages as images (this will produce jpegs of each page)
3: Copy Finder Items (This will copy the jpegs to a folder on her system)
4: Flip Images (flips the images in preview and re-saves them)

I just gave it a try and it produces a folder full of flipped images, each representing a page of the original word document. Hope that helps.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Thanks Panoz! I've never used automator either, so I didn't even want to try and figure it out and then explain it to her over the phone. But i'll try it when I get up there.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
What A piece of crap!

When using the HP Deskjet Series USB Universal driver on a Macintosh, the Paper Type/Quality setting no longer includes the HP Iron-on T-shirt Transfers (C6049A) paper.

So, here I am, sitting here on her computer with her HP PSC 1510 next to it, guess I have to do it manually eh?

It's gonna be a looooooooooooooong night!

jonesc5

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
pdf

if you are converting the word document to pdf but using a pdf converter that works like a seperate printer you can change the settings to export to pdf in reverse.

when printing, properties, layout, advanced, postscriptoptions, mirroroutput = yes

ta da

(although I did this on a PC not one of your CRAZY mac things :) )

Beti

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Mirror Print Automator Script

@panoz7

I know this is an old thread but thanks so much for the Automator info!

I've never tried Automator before but this worked perfectly! Woot!

geeniedesign

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
You can also use cutePDF printer and select the PostScript option "Mirrored Output" under printing preferences --> advanced.

print_mirrored.PNG

Froste

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
Print mirror image

I realize this is an old post, but I just figured how to do this today and just used Word (Word for Mac 2011, version 14.3.5. I made t-shirt transfers this way. So, in case someone else searches this forum, this process should work for them:

1. Open Word document > File > Print
2. At ? mark in lower left hand corner PDF menu select "Open PDF in Preview"
3. In Preview of document select File > Take Screenshot > Selection
4. Select what you want to take a screenshot of (may be image and text)
5. Save image
6. Open NEW Word document
7. Insert screenshot image (picture file) you made.
8. Select the inserted image on the Word doc. and under "arrange" (Format picture menu) select the rotate button > flip horizontal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.