Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kqphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Ireland
Hello all

Could you please let me know if there is a keyboard shortcut for the hash symbol in OS X Tiger as there is no hash symbol on the keyboard of my 12 inch powerbook G4

Thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This is one of those things where you have to tell us what country you're from, dear... ;)

In the US the hash (#) is shift-3, just like on any other US keyboard. But if you're in the US, I'm assuming you can see that the hash symbol is printed on the 3 key, and you wouldn't be asking this. So where are you from?

Or, if you don't want to tell us where you're from, open sys prefs -> international -> input (last tab over I think). Then turn on the keyboard viewer in the list, and select it from the flag menu in the menu bar. Then you can see what keys make what symbols and you can find your hash mark.

kqphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Ireland
Sorry folks, I forgot to say I'm in Ireland. A typical dumb Paddy you might say. Just moved from PC to MAC as I'm in to digital photography, I wish I had done it years ago.

Thanks for the help

Kieran

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So is this symbol frequently used in the UK? Do non-Apple keyboards have it on the keycap of the 3? It seems sort of like the Euro, GB Pound, and Yen marks, which are all not shown on the US kb but which have pretty easy keystrokes....

kqphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Ireland
It must be because it is a UK keyboard, it has a £ symbol above the 3. Dont know about other keyboards, the only other one I have used was a microsoft one on the pc and it had the # symbol beside the return key and just above the shift key

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It must be because it is a UK keyboard, it has a £ symbol above the 3. Dont know about other keyboards, the only other one I have used was a microsoft one on the pc and it had the # symbol beside the return key and just above the shift key

Ahhh, so the MS UK keyboard and the Apple UK kb are not the same? :confused:

In the US, Shift-3 is # and Alt-3 is £. € is Alt-Shift-2. ¥ is alt-y.

dominig

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Alt-3

on a UK keyboard

Either of the Alt key (right or left) will do. But the # is not printed on the Keyboard. Why ?

Trick remember that in USA they call the # (hash) pound sign and they do not use the real £ sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.