Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

classof2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
Flying with American Airlines
I found this iBook in my dad's attic at his business. He said he had bought when they released and planned on using it for financial stuff, but figured his Windows laptop would do better :mad: . It was in its box BTW, not collecting dust.

Anyways, it's out of warranty and it's specs are:

1.07 GHz PowerPC G4
768 MB DDR SDRAM
Combo drive
12" screen
30GB HD

The combo drive is not fun. It takes a good push...no...shove...into the slot for it to go in. It reads it fine and all, and can burn CD's, but pulling it out is plain horrible. I can't just take it and pull it out, I have to have my dad hold the iBook, and I grab the CD and pull it out. The CD ends up having deep scratches and is unreadable from then on.

So...what do I do? Replace it? Or is it repairable?

classof2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
Flying with American Airlines
Jeez I wish I could find an iBook G4 in my attic.

Well, it was buried under so much stuff. I was just in his shop's attic since I go up there everytime and I noticed under all these boxes something with a white box and I could see "iBook G4" so I knew what it was. But, with my luck, I thought it would be empty, but I guess my dad put it back for storage or something..

And mad jew, I looked at the guide and it is very helpful. Thanks! I'll get my brother (who is a computer technician) to see if he can replace it using that guide.

panchm

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2006
further Combo Drive Probs

Hello,

I just register. Am a new member people. Have a iBookG4.. got it in fall of '04. I have a problem with my combo drive. It stopped working today. When I insert a CD, it just starts to activate and then fizzles out. Stops spinning, then spits out the CD in 10 seconds. I have no idea what to do! Also, I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but about a month ago, the comp started to show a weird screen every time I reboot. Namely, a little folder in the middle of the screen with a picture of the earth, and it just flashes. Then it proceeds to the normal apple logo. Maybe some drivers are dead, or maybe the drive is dead? Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
goto system preferences, startup disk. turn off network drive.

you have it set to look for a network system drive, hence the blinking world logo. When it cant find one, it eventually boots from your HD.

if you combo drive is acting funny in a hardware way replace it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So after you eject the disc it remains stuck in the fingers that hold it? It should be a fairly firm but nowhere near crushing grip. It should be comparable to the slot-loader in most cars....

Still, considering it essentially came into your life for free, replacing the drive seems not so bad. :eek:

panchm

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2006
Thanks Sdashiki very much for the network drive. It worked! Now starts up quickly again. However, it sucks that the ComboDrive probably needs replacement. It will cost me I am sure, as I didn't buy any AppleCare plans, and it's in it's 3rd year. Very strange you know that it broke. It's made by Panasonic, and they make good drives. My ThinkPad had the same drive I think, and it still works after 5 years of use. However, I did use my Mac's drive to do a lot of burning. Probably over 100 disks. Could this have killed it prematurely? Dunno. So sad though, so sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.