Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
I have an Electra Black Betty

blackbetty.jpg

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
This is my current do-it-all:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64226&stc=1&d=1166299123

An Orange Clockwork circa 1997 (I think). I've just finished building it up from a frame I bough on ebay. These (for those who don't know) are lightweight steel frames made in the UK. It's pretty damn nippy and will do almost anything. I'm planning a 600 miler on it next summer (4 x 150 per day), which is why the rigid forks (and pannier rack!).

I left the frame looking fairly tatty in the futile hope of deterring London's bike-nicking toerags, but the components are actually fairly decent (winter wheels on at the moment - some nice Mavics waiting for the better weather!).

Attachments

• Orange-Clockwork-2.jpg
    Orange-Clockwork-2.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 280

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
After many years of sitting on my bottom staring at a computer screen it was time to get fit again. I used to love mountain biking back in the day and we have a huge park and wood with lots of trails behind the house. It would be rude not to make use of it!

Lots had changed since I last rode, it was a whole new world, but I eventually picked up a Saracen Mantra 3 off Ebay. Its a great little bike, it's a wee bit heavy, but should be bullet proof. I had to get few extra bits for it. First of which were a crud catcher some Sram gripshifters (First bike with them and I love them! The original shifters were wierd for my fingers.)and a bottle cage. I had a few rides and decided to get some new brakes too. I saw some superb Avid Juicy Ultimates on ebay. They have carbon levers and look ace. I still need to tweak them a bit before their first ride, but first impressions is that they rock.

I also noticed that the standard method manitou give you for attaching the front brake hose is as reliable as windows ME, I found a simple system produced by the brand M:part which seemed much better. It uses rubber O rings and little aluminium guides. It works very well.

DSCF4791.JPG

More pics in my gallery: http://gordyhand.co.uk/gallery/v/genpics/mantra3/

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Finally

Well, as you know by post #1, I have been saving for a road bike for a while. I finally bought one. I have been riding my mountain bike for over two years on the road (about 100mi. per week) and it is taking its toll, but no more!

I bought a Litespeed Siena. I love the bike, and once I find the wheelset I want, it will be complete. Keep 'em coming!

Attachments

• IMG_1636ok.jpg
    IMG_1636ok.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 261

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, as you know by post #1, I have been saving for a road bike for a while. I finally bought one. I have been riding my mountain bike for over two years on the road (about 100mi. per week) and it is taking its toll, but no more!

I bought a Litespeed Siena. I love the bike, and once I find the wheelset I want, it will be complete. Keep 'em coming!

That's a pretty nice bike! What's wrong with the wheelset that makes you wanna change it right away?

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
That's a pretty nice bike! What's wrong with the wheelset that makes you wanna change it right away?

Thanks, I love it! Sorry for the late reply. I probably won't change them right away, but they are super light, and I weigh about 185-190 lbs right now. If I raced the bike, and had the body of a 150-160 lb. racer, I might keep them. I think that because they are so light, I lose out on some of the stifness, however, they really are pretty nice.

I would like to get the Mavic Ksyrium ES wheels. They are super stiff, light, and would look very well on the bike.

Linky: http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/726/v/2/sp/

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Thanks, I love it! Sorry for the late reply. I probably won't change them right away, but they are super light, and I weigh about 185-190 lbs right now. If I raced the bike, and had the body of a 150-160 lb. racer, I might keep them. I think that because they are so light, I lose out on some of the stifness, however, they really are pretty nice.

I would like to get the Mavic Ksyrium ES wheels. They are super stiff, light, and would look very well on the bike.

Linky: http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/726/v/2/sp/

Ah, ok. Mavic's are pretty nice, I just ordered a set of wheels built around some Mavic rims, have yet to try them out, though. I've found that spoke count affects stiffness more than weight of the wheel, and I feel slower on heavier wheels. Like, physically slower. It's not a huge difference, but it's there.

But a lot of biking is how something feels, and I don't race, but I do try to keep my commute time as low as possible!

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Ah, ok. Mavic's are pretty nice, I just ordered a set of wheels built around some Mavic rims, have yet to try them out, though. I've found that spoke count affects stiffness more than weight of the wheel, and I feel slower on heavier wheels. Like, physically slower. It's not a huge difference, but it's there.

But a lot of biking is how something feels, and I don't race, but I do try to keep my commute time as low as possible!

Agreed, and I think these Mavics will provide the stiffness while at the same time being light. Let me know how you like yours.

Also to the bike above, nice Cannondale, I love me some Cannondale Mtn. Bikes.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Agreed, and I think these Mavics will provide the stiffness while at the same time being light. Let me know how you like yours.

Well, I finally got 'em on the bike and rode a bit yesterday, and they're pretty nice so far. Light, and kind of stiff. I have some cheap Alex rims on my other bike, and these ride a bit better, it feels. But it's all in the eye of the particular cyclist, though, so just 'cause I like 'em doesn't mean you will. I recommend 'em, though.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Thanks for posting, everyone I know that has Mavics loves them. I'll post some pics when I am finally able to get the wheels.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Updates...

New Wheelset and headset, now just need to work on stem and bars. The Ksyriums roll very nice and are pretty stiff.

img1981cq7.jpg

img1982mn3.jpg

img1983yv8.jpg

img1984bx7.jpg

img1988sl1.jpg

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
That is an interesting question, and I can assure you I didn't pay what it is 'worth'. I bought the bike as a demo, and a friend that works at a LBS gave me a super discount on the wheels ($400 off.)

Retail, today, the bike would cost about $5,000.00 including tax.

$3199 (sale price @ most shops now) - Litespeed Siena w/ Ultegra build

Upgrades:
$1150 - Ksyrium ES wheelset
$150 - Chris King headset
$150 - KeO Sprint Pedals
other minor upgrades...

I got a very good deal on all this stuff, or I definitely would not have it.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
That is an interesting question, and I can assure you I didn't pay what it is 'worth'. I bought the bike as a demo, and a friend that works at a LBS gave me a super discount on the wheels ($400 off.)

Retail, today, the bike would cost about $5,000.00 including tax.

$3199 (sale price @ most shops now) - Litespeed Siena w/ Ultegra build

Upgrades:
$1150 - Ksyrium ES wheelset
$150 - Chris King headset
$150 - KeO Sprint Pedals
other minor upgrades...

I got a very good deal on all this stuff, or I definitely would not have it.

Thats nice, especially with the deals you got. I have a Trek road bike.. guess its about $1000. Just had the chainset upgraded, and a new chain and cassette. Its my first roadie.. I'm sort of trying to get into club cycling.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Treks are great bikes. Would love to see some pics. You might enjoy http://www.bikeforums.net (click on road cycling). As you get into biking, these guys can help with every question you could possibly have...and you may meet people to ride with. Best of luck, it is a very rewarding sport.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.