Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christapherWayn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
Hey folks, just wondering if i could get some tips on how to make a button look like its been pressed... i can make 'gel' buttons all day long, but i have a hard time picturing the way to shade them to make it look like its been 'pressed' (ie. making it look curved inward, not outward)

any tips or know of any tutorials anywhere?

button.gif

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
tip:
get a bit of paper and then put a pin through it and pull, will give you the basic lighting, then tweak it till youre happy, or try and find something thats got a dome recessed into it

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
put an inner shadow with the light source coming from the top. you will need a bit of tweaking tho
btw:instead of making the bright orange a radial gradient, makie it an elliptical gratient and stretch out the sides and put it right at the bottom

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
All I got was a rock!

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Get it? It plays on the word "holes" because Charlie Brown made too many holes in his ghost costume and the word "hole" because of poking a pin through the image and because of the "All I got was a ..." reference?

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

<coyote howl><cricket sound><lone man coughs></coyote howl></cricket sound></lone man coughs>

:(

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Get it? It plays on the word "holes" because Charlie Brown made too many holes in his ghost costume and the word "hole" because of poking a pin through the image and because of the "All I got was a ..." reference?

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

<coyote howl><cricket sound><lone man coughs></coyote howl></cricket sound></lone man coughs>

:(
It'll cost you 25 USD to get a pat on the back for asininity ;) :D

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Well if your doing aqua, just do it the way Apple does it and don't depress it at all. Just change the color.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Well if your doing aqua, just do it the way Apple does it and don't depress it at all. Just change the color.
That makes more sense anyway. I have a phone with real buttons like that and they don't really look any different when pressed (except that the sides disappear under the surface of course, and my finger's in the way, and… never mind). Anyway, a "backlight" that turns on and off makes more sense than anything.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I would shade it from top (100% transparency) to around 50 % transparency at the bottom, with black, and then add a shadow along the top rim, fading out before half way down...

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Here is the one mentioned above(hope I got that right :eek: ) and something I came up w/

I can give you the PSD file for it(both of them) if you want!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    10 KB · Views: 3,591

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I'd use a Inner Shadow, it gives the feeling that the button is really being pressed down.

I played around for a while (actually without reading your post), and came up with this, using an inner shadow:

button.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.