Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imdanerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
So my ibook started doing this last night. It froze and then i would try to hard reboot it and it would not start, try again and then the fan would come on full blast louder than i've ever heard it come on before. So i dropped the battery out and let it sit for 30 or so seconds and then it worked fine. So Yay!

Now, I woke up to a frozen laptop that won't start at all. It will not play the little ok apple ding still does the loud fan once and a while. Ugh I don't really know what to do now. I do not have Apple care because my car broke right when I needed to buy it to extend it so ya.

This is how I do my college work so if anyone could please help me. I would really appreciate it. I've not been the best at taking care of my ibook, better than most. I guess I just am not ready to go out and spend 1500 on another laptop. Ugh

Thanks ~Jeffrey

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
You could try pressing the power button and then hold down Cmd-Opt-P-R until you hear the computer ding twice. This might take a good minute. This will reset the p-ram on your iBook, which will fix some problems.

If you get nothing out of that, I'd guess your logic board is bad.

If so, look on Apple's support site in case the extended logic board repair program covers your iBook. I don't know if that is still going on, but certain G3 iBooks had problems with logic boards failing and Apple would replace them for free, even out of warranty.

You could also try booting to the install CD or the diagnostics CD that came with your iBook, which could give you more info. I don't think your hard drive could be the problem because it doesn't sound like you are getting that far in the boot sequence.

If you do need to send it in, try to get a backup of the hard drive, if at all possible. When my iBook had the logic board problem, I was still able to boot to target disk mode and copy everything off my iBook, but that requires another Mac to copy everything to (Target Disk mode, if you don't know, basically has your mac acting like an external hard drive. You get it by holding down the T key right after pressing the power button.)

Good luck.

EDIT: Here's a link to Apple's extended repair programs for iBooks: http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/ibook.html

imdanerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Now I am not even getting the gray apple screen. It is going right into the fan being loud. I tried doing the P-Ram reset but its not making beeps and i don't think it is even trying. Ugh I love macs, but I never expected this.

imdanerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Oh, well if you know ibooks you know the sound the Slot Loading Drive makes when you turn on the computer. Imagine it in two parts. The first part and the second part. When I turn it on it either makes the first part sound or the second part sound. But never together. Does this help? Maybe I have a powersupply issue. Oh and I have a 1.33G4, I got it right when they first came out.

imdanerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
How much will a new logic board for my ibook run?

I mean, if it is above and beyond expensive I think I will just sign up for Student ADC and get a Macbook pro for around 1600.

I don't have a good job ATM but it might just be worth charging it.

Any ideas suggestions.

And I think i've been hard on my ibook a little. I was 16 when I got it and i've lost most of the feet, scuffed it, and cracked the inside plastic by the screen. Could it have been a physical thing that made the logic board go out?

Man I just feel stupid right now

Thanks everyone ~ Jeffrey

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
How much will a new logic board for my ibook run?

I mean, if it is above and beyond expensive I think I will just sign up for Student ADC and get a Macbook pro for around 1600.

I don't have a good job ATM but it might just be worth charging it.

Any ideas suggestions.

And I think i've been hard on my ibook a little. I was 16 when I got it and i've lost most of the feet, scuffed it, and cracked the inside plastic by the screen. Could it have been a physical thing that made the logic board go out?

Man I just feel stupid right now

Thanks everyone ~ Jeffrey

Take your iBook to the nearest Mac repair centre and have them run a diagnostic check.

If it is the logic board, forget a repair and buy a replacement.

I do hope I'm wrong.

Dave :)

imdanerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Ok, so I am going to drive to the mac store tomorrow. It is about 150 miles away. I use my computer for college and thank god but I am on break.

I guess this is more of a question of money. But If the logic board is toast I need to buy a new Macbook. I need something for minor design stuff. I was just thinking of getting the base Macbook Pro with 2GB ram and my student discount. It will be like 1,900 or something.

So I guess I just need someone to tell me it really is stupid to repair the logic board.

Thanks so much guys

~ Macless Jeffrey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.