Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Losium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Orlando,FL
I've recently run into this crazy obsession. I want an iBook, but I have a Macbook. When I was looking into getting a new computer, I decided to wait, so that I would be able to get the newer Macbook, but now that I've had it, I keep looking back at the iBook, and I think to myself how much money I could potentially get for downgrading to an iBook, and I love the idea of the older PowerPC computer for some reason. (Basically, I could always think that my Macbook is outdated or have the BEST iBook possible. Course, my usage on either computer would be exactly the same, although I'm sure the iBook would be a tad slower.

Here's my ideas: Trade Macbook for iBook plus cash. (Get to pay for some of the rent by doing this, hehe)

Is this a terrible idea? Is the iBook really a decent enough computer to do this? I want a 12" so I'm also wondering about the screen and resolution, is the Macbook's resolution so much better that I would dislike the older iBook?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Even if it's just someone telling me to get over it all and enjoy the Macbook.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Even if it's just someone telling me to get over it all and enjoy the Macbook.
:D

If the macbook was called an iBook, would you be happy to have the best iBook? Some people like the form factor of the iBook, but apart from that (now not many apps aren't universal) doesn't really have advantages.

Losium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Orlando,FL
I think it's more along the line of the fact that I've wanted an Ibook when I first started looking at Macs. The Universal issues seems to be in the iBooks favor at the moment and as long as Leopard is universal, which I am assuming it is, I should be fine. The only thing that I would really be missing out on is the camera? The keyboard I should get used to and I'm not sure about the visual quality.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Doesn't the iBook's resolution go no higher than 1024x768 ? I can't remember too well, correct me if i'm wrong on that front. The keyboard is a misnomer, i've found you can get used to any kind of keyboard given time.:)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I do have to say I love my iBook. It's nearing on 3 years old. But it got a new battery from the recall, and it really works very well. It's ultra cute and very light. I stopped using Mail.app on it because my Mail collection is so big, and I disabled Dashboard, but otherwise it's still very good. I just cleaned it all over, got the scuff marks off the screen, etc. I'm not quite ready to let it go yet. :)

EDIT: With regard to the screen -- it's not the brightest screen, but it is matte, and it has excellent color quality. It is indeed 1024x768. It can handle fair external resolutions with spanning using Screen Spanning Doctor. With regard to the KB, the iBook KB isn't perfect but is very usable.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
I stayed with some friends for a few days about a couple weeks back and they had the latest ibook. So I used that for three days and it was a great computer. But when I got home and started up my macbook pro I never appreciated it more. Not having never used a macbook Im not sure if its a similar situation but thats my $.02.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I've had a 12" iBook for 2 years and just upgraded to a MBP. The iBook was an amazing little computer and it is the reason I'm a Mac user today, but I don't think I'd ever want to go back to one. After using the brighter screens and having it be so much faster than the iBook, the MBP or the MacBook is the way to go.

I guess it depends on what you are using it for. My iBook just wasn't cutting it for what I needed it to do anymore. If you are just bumming around the internet and need extra cash, go for it.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
Go the whole hog and get a Powerbook 12! You should be able to get one of those in exchange for the Macbook and still get some money as well.

My PB12 is great. Just right for using around the house. And when I don't need to take the MBP out - like when I went for all those pre-Christmas drinking sessions! Loose the PB and it's a pain; loose the MBP and it's a disaster.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
Having gone from an iBook to my Macbook, there's no way I could go back. I do miss the size of the 12" iBook, but that's about it. From a raw power standpoint, the Macbook blows any of the iBooks out of the water.

acoustics940

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2006
I am in a similiar boat as you are. I am deciding to buy an ibook as my first mac though instead of a macbook. I just love how they are and my friend has a 12" pb with 800mhz... and it amazed me how fast it was compared to like a pc with 800mhz. If you want one I say get it its your money and your computer get waht you want. Most people talk about benchmarks and all these numbers. I see my computer as a computer as long as it runs what I need it to its fine I dont care if its the newest intel that costs $1000 more. Its a 1.07mhz 768 mb 80gb superdrive and runs everything I need it to internet,microsoft office, warcraft 3 so im happy.

MaaseyRacer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
San Francisco, Ca.
Keep the Macbook, the ibook is so much slower than the MacBook it is ridiculous. I think you will be in the same boat that you are in now when you pick up an iBook and a few months pass. if you are not forced into downgrading then I would highly suggest not doing it.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Well they say once you go MacBook, you'll never look back. The thing with computers is, we move forward. Personally, I love my iBook but with the problems I had with it, I would never recommend it to someone. I had a logic board failure just six months after I bought it, replaced it, bought AppleCare, and after a few weeks, I got a speaker problem and my display died. Recently, just two or three weeks ago, plan about to expire in a month, my HD died, sent it back for repair, (used it for half an hour), but they didn't do a good job, they sorta repaired it and now it's back for service again, somethings wrong with it and they need to order parts from Apple which will only ship after Christmas. But the thing is this, I loved the Mac OS and I still love my iBook more than ever. My next computer purchase which will be early next year will definitely be a mac, however, no MacBook.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
If you get the ibook (which is already outdated) you're going to need to reupgrade alot sooner. I would stick with the macbook, it's ALOT faster and nicer too.

I'm not dissing ibooks, if you have one stick with it until you no longer can, but I wouldn't downgrade if I had a choice.

jmckechnie

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2006
I have both a MBP and an iBook. The iBook is my travel/school computer and it is awesome. I can use it to take notes, check my email at school, just use it anywhere there is wifi and it's tiny and can just throw it in my bag; I wouldn't trade it for the world. That being said, the MBP is a MONSTER. I does things I only wish the iBook would do. I'm slowly building it into desktop with the ability to make it into a travel computer. It's great for watching DVD's and using many applications at once, which I have a tendency to do.

Both are EXCELLENT machines with each doing it's job well. With the cheap prices of iBook's these days, I don't see why you couldn't get both. I got the MBP back in Feb and picked up a g3 ibook about 2 months ago for $250.

Losium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Orlando,FL
Thanks for all the replies. I guess it is best not to get one.
I probably would feel a need to upgrade the ibook rather quickly, and I had planned on getting a desktop if that were to happen, but I may as well just stick with the Macbook. Unless of course, I run into a deal that is too difficult to resist.

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
I switched from my G3 iBook 900Mhz 640ram to a Macbook C2D mainly because I wasn't able to watch any kind of video - even lo-res. TV feeds would take 100% CPU and set the fans howling.

cecildk9999

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
East Coast
I was really tempted by the macbooks when they first came out, since they were thin and sleek compared to the iBooks. You have such a nice machine already; I'd say learn to love it. If you do get the iBook, you'll have that happy feeling while looking over it the first 30 minutes, and then start to second guess yourself if some application takes 5 seconds longer to open up. Screen brightness is another big factor; I couldn't believe how much brighter the MBP screen was over my old powerbook when I finally upgraded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.