Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWinnipegger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
there's tons of stuff missing, did they remove a bunch of these things to make the hardware look cleaner and simpler and nicer??? where are all these slots and ports?!?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
they didn't remove anything. it was never a part of it.

one would think that a large purchase like this would be researched before buying, no?

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
What "slots and ports" are you looking for? The MacBook (or any other Apple Laptop) never had an SD card slot therefore it was not removed, because it never existed.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Go buy a USB card reader. People like me that don't constantly use memory cards would prefer a nice sturdy laptop than one that feels like you could crush the edges because there's so many gaping holes and ports in every possible spot. ;)

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
there's tons of stuff missing, did they remove a bunch of these things to make the hardware look cleaner and simpler and nicer??? where are all these slots and ports?!?

No dice for Macbook - Apple consumer laptops do not have memory card slots, neither do the have any means of card reader expansion, except for USB card readers. Fortunately, my Powerbook has a PCMCIA slot in which I always have a card reader - VERY convenient to import photos from my camera quickly. I do not know how affordable/available are analogous devices for MBPros...

hana

macrumors regular
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
There is no SD card reader slot on the Macbook. Sorry about that.

Here's a list of supported cameras and card readers for iphoto:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html

This is the one I got in 2005 that works with iphoto - it's a 12 in 1 reader.
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Image...r_1/104-3823844-7664719?ie=UTF8&s=electronics
I've found this to be handy to have in my Macbook bag especially when I'm asked to do a slideshow using pictures from cards from other cameras.

Hope you enjoy your Macbook!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
If you only need an SD card reader, USB readers are given away these days with some SD cards. I picked up a USB reader for $20. I think it is a good idea not to include technology that would only be marginally useful or outdated quickly on a product like the MacBook.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Seriously, USB cards are a dime-a-dozen these days. Laptops are not required to have SD card readers or any other type of card reader, and I can find you many PC laptops (even expensive ones) that do not have them.

Go buy a USB card reader. People like me that don't constantly use memory cards would prefer a nice sturdy laptop than one that feels like you could crush the edges because there's so many gaping holes and ports in every possible spot. ;)

Amen!

Curious to know what else you think you're laptop is missing?

EDIT: In fact, almost the entire ThinkPad line (considered by many here to be the best PC laptops) are entirely lacking in memory card slots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.