Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
Before you type "192.168.1.1", let me explain whats going on. I have a wired router that connects to my modem, then a switch that is connected to my router, then a wireless router connected to my switch. I already have my wireless router set-up as an access point and the last time I accessed it's setup it's IP was 192.168.1.104. But now a day later, that IP doesn't work. Seems my wired router reset IP numbers. I've tried numbers 192.168.1.100-105 since there's only 4 things hooked up (Mac, PC, Wii, wireless router), tried 192.168.2.1, then the higher numbers like 192.168.1.250-255. Nothing.

I've poked around Network Utility but I don't know what I'm doing there. Is there some way to see what IP numbers are connected to my wired router so I can then find out which one is my wireless router?

thicke

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
Nashville, TN
What brand are the routers? What kind of Mac do you have, MacBook, etc? How many Ethernet ports are on the wireless router, does it only have the "internet" port, or does it have some other wired ports?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
the wired router is actually where you want to go, as it sounds like the access point is getting moved, which means DHCP. so, since it was x.1.104, the wired router should be 192.168.1.1. login to the wired router, look at the LAN/DHCP settings, and it should show a current list of assigned addresses. pc, mac, and wii should have names, wireless may only show the MAC (no name)... either way it should show you the current ip.

you may also want to try unpluging the wireless access point power for about 30 seconds, and then plug it back in. some have a habit of getting hung. wireless will still be working, but no login kinda stuck. best of luck.

thicke

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
Nashville, TN
so to system preferences -> network -> The airport settings -> then tcp/ip and next to router you'll find its ip.

Unless I misunderstand, I don't think that will work. I read into it that he's not connected to the wireless router via the airport. I read into it that the wireless router and the Mac are both connected to the same wired network and he wants to know what the IP address of the wireless router is ont he wired network. Is that right Bobdude161?

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Unless I misunderstand, I don't think that will work. I read into it that he's not connected to the wireless router via the airport. I read into it that the wireless router and the Mac are both connected to the same wired network and he wants to know what the IP address of the wireless router is ont he wired network. Is that right Bobdude161?

ohh after re re reading the op I think you're right. also you could download nmap compile it learn how to use it and scan your net work :D

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana

Sorry 192.168.0.1 is not the answer. :p

What brand are the routers? What kind of Mac do you have, MacBook, etc? How many Ethernet ports are on the wireless router, does it only have the "internet" port, or does it have some other wired ports?

The wired router is a Linksys and the wireless one is a Belkin. My mac is in my sig. Only the uplink port is being used on the wireless router

so to system preferences -> network -> The airport settings -> then tcp/ip and next to router you'll find its ip.

Good guess, but I'm getting my wired router's IP and not the access-point's (wireless router) IP

the wired router is actually where you want to go, as it sounds like the access point is getting moved, which means DHCP. so, since it was x.1.104, the wired router should be 192.168.1.1. login to the wired router, look at the LAN/DHCP settings, and it should show a current list of assigned addresses. pc, mac, and wii should have names, wireless may only show the MAC (no name)... either way it should show you the current ip.

you may also want to try unpluging the wireless access point power for about 30 seconds, and then plug it back in. some have a habit of getting hung. wireless will still be working, but no login kinda stuck. best of luck.

Looked at my Linksys wired router settings and it says there's only three things hooked up to it. My Mac, PC and a nameless device which must be my Wii. Powering off the Belkin wireless didn't do anything either. :eek:

I am wirelessly connected via a 3rd party wireless card on my Mac. But yes I do want to know the wireless router's address

ohh after re re reading the op I think you're right. also you could download nmap compile it learn how to use it and scan your net work :D

It's worth a try i suppose. :)

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
just browsing these replies it's clear you're posting this question at the wrong website. Never have so many neophytes offered so much useless information. They mean well, I guess.

PS I know the answer, but I charge $85 an hour for my knowledge as a freelancer. Good luck to you.

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
Before you type "192.168.1.1", let me explain whats going on. I have a wired router that connects to my modem, then a switch that is connected to my router, then a wireless router connected to my switch. I already have my wireless router set-up as an access point and the last time I accessed it's setup it's IP was 192.168.1.104. But now a day later, that IP doesn't work. Seems my wired router reset IP numbers. I've tried numbers 192.168.1.100-105 since there's only 4 things hooked up (Mac, PC, Wii, wireless router), tried 192.168.2.1, then the higher numbers like 192.168.1.250-255. Nothing.

I've poked around Network Utility but I don't know what I'm doing there. Is there some way to see what IP numbers are connected to my wired router so I can then find out which one is my wireless router?

Do a Traceroute to google.com in Network Utility. It should be the first IP address; 2nd one should be your wired router.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
just browsing these replies it's clear you're posting this question at the wrong website. Never have so many neophytes offered so much useless information. They mean well, I guess.

PS I know the answer, but I charge $85 an hour for my knowledge as a freelancer. Good luck to you.

hahaha you're funny. neophyte. ha

Do a Traceroute to google.com in Network Utility. It should be the first IP address; 2nd one should be your wired router.

no he's not connected to the router. It's on the same network. So none of his data is going through it.

Anyways i thought of something Is wireless router a continuation of ip addresses on your wired network? Or does it assign new ip addresses. In other words is it acting more like a hub or a router? If the first one is true you could simply get on the wifi network and gets its ip address from the first way i mentioned.

But seriously Install xcode and compile nmap its really easy. Its also easy to use.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
I am wirelessly connected via a 3rd party wireless card on my Mac. But yes I do want to know the wireless router's address

so the access point has a static ip. traceroute won't work as the AP is only a pass and won't register as a hop.

on the mac, open terminal and type:

ping 192.168.1.255

let it run for a bit, then use ctrl -c to stop the ping command. then type:

arp -a

should show you the 4 IPs. the one you don't already know will be the access point.

edit: if you prefer windows :confused: you could cut and paste this into a command window, and it will scan the whole range and give you a text document on the c: drive...

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -n 1 192.168.1.%i|FIND /i "Reply">>c:\ipaddy.txt

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Alternatively to arp look at the wired router's DHCP table and eliminate the three IPs you already know.

B

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
HA!! I win!

turns out it was 192.168.2.254. But I only discovered that, once I reset all my settings on the wireless router to default. That's why the wired Linksys router didn't list the belkin wireless router on the DHCP table. So now after a long process of putting all my settings back, I just assigned it 192.168.1.254 so it would at least stay in the 192.168.1.x range. Thank you very much everyone for your support. And thank you Belkin for being a pain in the a** for making your dafualt IP address different from Linksys, lol. :p

And now what is interesting, is that when the wireless router comes up on the Linksys DHCP table it shows the Belkin's IP as 192.168.1.102 (even after DHCP renewing). But when I type in the number, nothing happens. In order to access the setup fo the Belkin wireless router I have to tpye in Belkin's own designated IP address which was previously stated as 192.168.1.254. It's not a problem, just wanted to point that out. :)

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
HA!! I win!

turns out it was 192.168.2.254. But I only discovered that, once I reset all my settings on the wireless router to default. That's why the wired Linksys router didn't list the belkin wireless router on the DHCP table. So now after a long process of putting all my settings back, I just assigned it 192.168.1.254 so it would at least stay in the 192.168.1.x range. Thank you very much everyone for your support. And thank you Belkin for being a pain in the a** for making your dafualt IP address different from Linksys, lol. :p

And now what is interesting, is that when the wireless router comes up on the Linksys DHCP table it shows the Belkin's IP as 192.168.1.102 (even after DHCP renewing). But when I type in the number, nothing happens. In order to access the setup fo the Belkin wireless router I have to tpye in Belkin's own designated IP address which was previously stated as 192.168.1.254. It's not a problem, just wanted to point that out. :)

what a weird IP address. Strange story for me, My MBP decided to add a new networking port for some reason and thought it was connected to 10.13.7.xxx even when nothing was plugged in.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
It is a weird IP, but it's not the router's default IP. When I set the Belkin to an "Access Point", it put an ending number of the IP that would be out of range of the original router's DHCP range (which i think is x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.144) . The end part of the IP can only go up to 255 (x.x.x.255), but the Belkin router set itself to 254 because 255 is a special IP number that is used for something I don't know.

I think that's how it goes.

djdawson

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Minnesota
Another option

One other thing you could have tried was running "tcpdump" in the Terminal (you need to run it as "sudo") and power cycle the wireless router and look at the tcpdump output for addresses you don't recognize. Most devices will either send a DHCP request or a "Gratuitous ARP" when they boot up, so by running tcpdump you could see this. Here's a sample command, but the actual command would have to reference whatever your ethernet interface is:

sudo tcpdump -i en0 -n

Use "control-c" to abort it after you've captured what you need. Note that you'll also see any other traffic going through that interface, so try not to do any web surfing at the same time or you'll capture a bunch of stuff you don't want to see.

The advantage of this approach is that it'll show you *all* the packets hitting your interface, even if the source address is on a different network or subnet, which hosts normally ignore and won't show up in the ARP table. Since the Gratuitous ARP packet is a broadcast, it'll be send out every switch port, so you Mac should see it no matter what your IP address is.

HTH

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The end part of the IP can only go up to 255 (x.x.x.255), but the Belkin router set itself to 254 because 255 is a special IP number that is used for something I don't know.

I think that's how it goes.
x.x.x.255 is the broadcast address for a network with a typical netmask of 255.255.255.0. i.e. it's the address used to talk to all of the devices in the subnetwork.

B

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
It's not like his puppy was dying and he needed you to operate.

You could have been helpful given that eventually he was going to, and did, easily find the answer to his question. Choosing not to speaks volumes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.