Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
I'm helping my mom troubleshoot this problem so please bear with me...

we tried to skype yday and it turns out the built-in mic on her 12"iBook is not working. I barely hear some faint static, but for the most part it was dead. I had her go to System Pref->Sound and test the mic and the mic level was not moving when she spoke. Does this mean the mic is dead?? or am I missing something? Is there a USB mic available that she can use?

Please help!!!!

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I don't remember exactly, but is there an option where you can change the input volume for the microphone?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Go back into the Sound preference pane and click on the Input tab. There'll be an option to lower or raise the microphone input volume. See if that helps.

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
Go back into the Sound preference pane and click on the Input tab. There'll be an option to lower or raise the microphone input volume. See if that helps.

I'm pretty sure she looked into this yday and she said the input volume was in the middle.....i.e not mute. so that's not the problem.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.