Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
I just installed a new hard drive in my iBook G4 (800Mhz) because the current drive was failing. When I booted back up the machine wont detect the new drive. I've checked the ATA connections and there doesn't appear to be anything out of line.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this problem could be and/or how it can be solved?

Many thanks

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Have you tried booting from the install CD?
Then formatting the drive via Disk Utility?

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
I've tried putting an old drive, as well as the original and neither are being picked up.
I cant even hear the hard drive 'spinning'...

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
sounds like you may have damaged the power connection to the HDD when you were changing it

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
is there anything i can do to correct it?! or perhaps get it repaired? x
Well, did u break anything on the connectors or not?

I once had a bad hd connector on an old Tibook and Daystar fixed it for me. PS whiile you have the ibook open, good time to drop a superdrive in it.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I didn't break anything... Nothing noticeable anyway. All pins are intact and I was careful with the connecting ribbon too.

Try a target mode hard disc start with another drive or computer to diagnose the problem or cd start up to indicate the new start up disc?

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
OP, sorry to hear of your problems... all I can offer is sympathy.

And OT, wow, folks, you are a gutsy bunch - changing the HDD in an iBook yourself. I am not so brave. I've put in extra RAM and that's as far as my bravery goes. Actually, I did look at the http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/ guide for iBook (though disappointingly, the 1.33Ghz was not there, the 1.2Ghz was featured). Seeing how complicated it was, I gave up any idea that I'm gonna do it. Way too many things can go wrong. Instead, I'm going to have these folks do the job: http://techrestore.com/xcart/home.php?cat=255

I wish it was easier to do, because if you do it yourself, you control not just the exact components (you get to pick the best), but you know you did it right, rather than sloppily. Unfortunately, it looks too complicated to me.

The price differential is not too big, and I'd rather have someone else do it and waranty it.

Still, I admire those who go ahead and do it themselves (like the amazing poster "California" :))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.