Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
please do not try this at home. :eek:

got a deal on a black macbook core duo with a broken screen, and thought it a good time to try finding a replacement without the glare. i'm not a fan of the glossy screens. first impression is great, as it's really bright, amazing colors, and so on. but i find using one all day, every day, gets old with the reflection/glare.

so, i fix computers and deal almost entirely with windows systems. i had worked on several sony laptops with 13.3" 1280x800 panels that looked really nice, and found something similar through a wholesale supplier to try with my broken blackbook. toshiba and matsushita joined forces about 4 years ago to produce lcd panels, and supply most of the sony panels. home page is HERE. the panel i received is missing part of the model sticker, and i am still waiting for an email back from TM to try and clarify the specific panel i used. what i have so far is LTD133E OR B, and then a torn edge. a second sticker near the bottom of the panel has NRL75-DEXKA11A K6B06T7 0118. neither seem to bring up results in google at the moment. TM's current product lineup doesn't have any matte finish 13.3" panels listed, so that is no help. also sent an email to my supplier looking for additional info on model, or what model of sony laptop this panel was intended for. so, sorry on slim details right now. i will update this when i receive more information.

i can tell you this panel was an exact replacement, cables, screws, etc, and no modification was necessary to install the panel. i would also point out that i repair 2-10 laptops per week, can take powerbooks/ibooks apart from memory, and found this macbook to be one of the trickiest laptops to take apart i have ever encountered. you must take the screen completely off the laptop even though there are guides showing only the lcd panel/covers being removed. trust me. you have been warned.

tried to take pictures that showed the difference in the panels. first shot was side by side with a reflection. 2-4 were taken with the ceiling fan/light on to show the difference in the screen finish. not a good camera, but you get the point.

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
more pics

couple more pics with the macbook back together and turned on.

P1010006.JPG

P1010008.JPG

everything works the same. calibration, brightness control, photo booth flash, etc. seems very bright when side by side with a customers whitebook. overall, very happy with the results. the matte finish seems to match the finish of the blackbook better than the glossy. again, more details when i get them. peace out.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
Well done, this is great, the matte screen option on a MacBook would be great. Apple would defo sell more.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Yeah I don't see why Apple doesn't offer the option for Matte Screen. Maybe it's because it will force people who hate glossy to buy the MBP! haha i figured it out.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Maybe because I haven't owned a glossy notebook until the Macbook but I definitely like it better than the matte display on my old Vaio.

tylerboyo

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
Cardiff, UK
Looks very good. I originally did order a mb, but then cancelled my order, and got a mbp. Glossy screen was one of many reasons why i cancelled. Surely though, getting that new screen, and fitting it, you may as well just get a mbp?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
Surely though, getting that new screen, and fitting it, you may as well just get a mbp?

bottom line, i would LOVE to get a MBP, but really can't justify the cost for what i do. if i had not received this blackbook with a broken screen, i wouldn't have done the install/upgrade/downgrade...

i have less in this machine (2.0 CD, 2gb, 80gb, superdrive, matte) than the $999 base model blackbook at the refurb store. seemed like a good deal to me.

tylerboyo

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
Cardiff, UK
Sorry, i did read the post, but forgot, i kinda did mean you, but also other people maybe wanting to do this in the future. Out of curiousity, how much would an upgrade like that cost? a - to diy, b - to be done by a professional.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
...how much would an upgrade like that cost? a - to diy, b - to be done by a professional.

A - $165 plus shipping, and 3 bottles of Fat Tire Ale. :)

B - quick search on google for macbook lcd repair shows $375-$395, plus shipping, and a couple day turn around.

that was not a fun repair, and i can see why they charge so much.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I looked at the DIY and it looks like a pain.

I would just sell the broken LCD notebook and put in an additional $400 (the cost it would repair the LCD) towards a refurb/new notebook.

The matte Blackbook does look unique though.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
well, that was a waste of an email...:mad:

most helpful response received from TMDisplay:

Dear xxx

This is Toshiba Matsushita Display Technology Co., Ltd..
Thank you for your access to our homepage and we are very
pleased to have your inquiries.

To respond to your inquiry, here are our answer.

a) Our answer

Please bring your Laptop PC to shop where you got or
contact to brand name where replacement of LCD to be done.
Replacement of LCD and lamp of LCD to be responsible by
brand name's service network who has capable person and
necessary parts for replace and repair these.

Just for your sake, please do not say that you opened LCD
Monitor case, because some PC maker's manual informed that
they will be free from warranty responsibility, or in worst
case they can refuse repair, once customer opened their PC
by themself.

Your understanding will be greatly appreciated.

i never indicated this as a laptop panel or repair, so this must have been sent based on the partial model number i provided. sent back a very direct response, and a request for someone above office worker level to please look up the panel info. we shall see.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Dear xxx

This is Toshiba Matsushita Display Technology Co., Ltd..
Thank you for your access to our homepage and we are very
pleased to have your inquiries.

To respond to your inquiry, here are our answer.

a) Our answer

Please bring your Laptop PC to shop where you got or
contact to brand name where replacement of LCD to be done.
Replacement of LCD and lamp of LCD to be responsible by
brand name's service network who has capable person and
necessary parts for replace and repair these.

Just for your sake, please do not say that you opened LCD
Monitor case, because some PC maker's manual informed that
they will be free from warranty responsibility, or in worst
case they can refuse repair, once customer opened their PC
by themself.

Your understanding will be greatly appreciated.

Do you think the Japanese still hire their own people to do their tech support? :D

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Do you think the Japanese still hire their own people to do their tech support? :D

Bite your tongue. As you know, Apple was just short of opening an India based tech support center. if you think any Japanese or Chinese manufacturer has poor understanding of the English language, just wait until you get to deal with the Indians, lol. (I wouldn't be surprised if that message came from an USA based TMDP operation, however; and not from a native speaking Japanese person either :p )

Excellent mod, but if it's that difficult, of no use to most. Just have to big the bullet and get the lowest price matte finish MBP. I sure hope Apple never pulls the matte finish from the MBP line, that would make me pay for the swap no matter how much it costs.

freebasen

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2007
A - $165 plus shipping, and 3 bottles of Fat Tire Ale. :)

B - quick search on google for macbook lcd repair shows $375-$395, plus shipping, and a couple day turn around.

that was not a fun repair, and i can see why they charge so much.

Would you mind sharing you source? I have been looking for the past couple weeks and no one seems to stock the matte finish at a reasonable price.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
There are ways to get exact panel information in windows. Let me see if I can find what the app is called.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
4JNA,

Is this the display you purchased? I found it listed on the Toshiba Matsushita Display Technology website.

Type Name LTD133EX2Z
Feature WXGA,LVDS,High Luminance
Applications for Mobile Notebook PCs
Product Status custom product ex.
Screen Size 33.7cm (13.3inch)
Number of Pixels((W)x(H)) 1280pixel x800pixel
Pixel Pitch((W)x(H)) 0.224mm x0.224mm
Aspect Ratio 16:10
Pixel Density 113ppi
Active Area((W)x(H)) 286.1mm x178.8mm
Pixel Arrangement Stripe
Display Mode ACTIVE MATRIX, TRANSMISSIVE ,TN ,Norm .White(Posi)
Device Type p-Si
Surface Treatment Glare, Hardcoat
Number of Colors 262,144color
Contrast Ratio 250:1(min.)
Luminance(typ) 250cd/m2
Reflectance Ratio(typ)
Response Time(typ)
Response Time(max) (Rizetime)50ms ,(Falltime)50ms
Viewing Angle(typ)
Viewing direction(CR Peak) 6 o'clock
Supply Voltage(typ) 3.3V
Power Consumption(typ) 4.9W
Interface LVDS
Number of Gray Level 64
Dimensional Outline
((W)x(H)x(D))(typ) 299.0mm x195.0mm x5.2mm
Weight(typ) 320g
Backlight FLx1
Backlight Lifetime
Operating Ambient Temperature 0 50
Storage Temperature -20 60
Datasheet
RoHS OK
Remarks Wide aspect ratio, High Luminance(250cd/m2)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.