Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I think most would agree with me when I say Cingular was not the best choice. I have never, ever heard positive reviews from their service. I am sure I will get someone arguing that they do like Cingular but mojority of the users seem to be complaining.

I cringe at the thought of waiting to use the iPhone until it is unlocked but I am left with little option. I was hoping for a quick release of the contract but that does not seem possible.

I am certian I heard the Cingular representative (was he the CEO?) say it was "an exclusive multi-year contract" as if to rub it in everyone's face that they were stuck with Cingular. I dont know about you guys but I am not happy with this. Great phone, terrible service. I thought the iPhone was going to make everything easy. Multi-Year? So we might see an unlocked phone in 2009... great. More waiting.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Exactly my friend, this is by far one of the most annoying things Apple has done. It's like making Macs only available in certain countries for a certain amount of time. Screw that

bwinslow

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
Considering the cost of the iPhone parts, one would think Apple is using Cingular to cut down the costs. I'm sure phone companies were going crazy to get the contract with Apple considering the success of the iPod.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
I hear you....but...

for the longest time out here in Santa Cruz county Verizon was really the only ticket. Cingular had better customer service but no towers. Now Cingular has better service and more towers so out here Cingular is king. It changes every year though. Apple was looking for a stable, reliable nationwide carrier with a lot of all-digital coverage. To my knowledge only Cingular meets that spec.

grafikat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2003
Multiyear exclusive carrier contracts for specific handheld hardware is the industry norm. The PPC6700 windows smart phone can only be used with sprint, for example. While they can be purchased unlocked, these must be purchased by a third party. Even the manufacturer (HTC?) doesn't sell them direct to the US market.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Multiyear exclusive carrier contracts for specific handheld hardware is the industry norm. The PPC6700 windows smart phone can only be used with sprint, for example. While they can be purchased unlocked, these must be purchased by a third party. Even the manufacturer (HTC?) doesn't sell them direct to the US market.

But we know this wont happen with the iPhone. They stated it is only going to be availabe through apple retail and cingular stores. In fact, I dont think you can even buy it on apple.com because of the contract.

I dont want to switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.