Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bustednz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
hey guys im ben from nz.

read some old post sounds like most people in here know what there doing.

i brought a old g3 for like 80bucks nz which is like chips aprently crashed which it did at a scandisk thing i pressed stop and it booted about 20 times fine at work and checked disk fine when it wanted to... i updated everything and was smiling

i dont have a mac keyboard. so i used a usb one and it worked fine... but it locked up soo i turned it off and put it in my van and went home from work, plugged it in and it just sat on there blinking question mark and finder.

i reset the pram and it didnt fix it, then the hdd had a huge spaz and started clunking... so i assumed the hdd was haddit... replaced that downloaded some crusty old os9 image and burnt it. and it wont boot from it...

are macs picky on the OS cd? it seems like a pretty good iso its got all the system files there?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
hey guys im ben from nz.

read some old post sounds like most people in here know what there doing.

i brought a old g3 for like 80bucks nz which is like chips aprently crashed which it did at a scandisk thing i pressed stop and it booted about 20 times fine at work and checked disk fine when it wanted to... i updated everything and was smiling

i dont have a mac keyboard. so i used a usb one and it worked fine... but it locked up soo i turned it off and put it in my van and went home from work, plugged it in and it just sat on there blinking question mark and finder.

i reset the pram and it didnt fix it, then the hdd had a huge spaz and started clunking... so i assumed the hdd was haddit... replaced that downloaded some crusty old os9 image and burnt it. and it wont boot from it...

are macs picky on the OS cd? it seems like a pretty good iso its got all the system files there?

What mhz CPU do you have? I think I have some old G3 500mhz boot cds. Let me know

bustednz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
What mhz CPU do you have? I think I have some old G3 500mhz boot cds. Let me know

its a 5521 unsure of cpu but someone might have said it was a 400mhz its blue and has a 20G

the screen has been recently packing in to could be another fault but OS 9.2 would be GREAT

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
btw, this thing runs OSX just fine so long as you've got at least 512mb of ram.

If the 20gb hard drive is OEM, that would make this on the later end of the iMac G3 run, I think.

If it turn out to be dead, may I have your optical drive? (Just kidding. I do need an optical drive for an iMac G3, but NZ is too far away. Oh, and I hope it's not dead.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.