Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Hi

I have been using illustrator for years on windows enviroment and just recently switched to mac.

On the windows version of Illustrator CS2 you can preview different fonts on the desired text by justn placing the cursor on the font selection bar and then simply press the up/down arrows keys. On mac it does not work that way and you have to select a font at a time.

Is there a way to make it work as it does in illustrator?

Thanks

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Wanna know something even more annoying? It works just fine in Photoshop. I hope they do something about all these little inconsistencies with CS3.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
This is the only way I know to do what you want, a quicker keyboard shortcut would be nice as this indirect method drives me crazy when choosing type faces.

Type > Font

To change the size of the preview:

Edit > Preferences > Type (Windows) or Illustrator > Preferences > Type (Mac OS), and setting the Font Preview Size option.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
It is annoying isn't it. I find myself previewing fonts in PS, then adding it with Ill. Probably not the most efficient way, but It beats going one by one in Ill.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
It is annoying isn't it. I find myself previewing fonts in PS, then adding it with Ill. Probably not the most efficient way, but It beats going one by one in Ill.

Another solution along these lines that also works is having Font Book open while designing in Illustrator, still a pain though.

tranceteria

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego, California
This is the only way I know to do what you want, a quicker keyboard shortcut would be nice as this indirect method drives me crazy when choosing type faces.

Type > Font

To change the size of the preview:

Edit > Preferences > Type (Windows) or Illustrator > Preferences > Type (Mac OS), and setting the Font Preview Size option.

YOU ARE A GOD, OR I'M TOO IGNORANT!!!!! LOL
BUT SERIOUSLY! THANKSSS!

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Selecting the font menu from the Character Palette displays font names in their individual typefaces. If you click once on a font in the menu, you can then use up an down arrow keys to scroll through others. If text is highlighted in advance, it will not change until hitting the Enter key.

supernoodle

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
better than where I was at...

Selecting the font menu from the Character Palette displays font names in their individual typefaces. If you click once on a font in the menu, you can then use up an down arrow keys to scroll through others. If text is highlighted in advance, it will not change until hitting the Enter key.

im on OS X and I still cant arrow through the font but from the drop down I can at least see each font name displayed as itself, any thoughts?

Anastasius

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
There is another option, don't know if it is usable:
http://anastasiy.com/diskfonts/

Hi there! I came to this thread mentioning my creation. I'm the author of this tool, you can ask me any questions and make suggestions for new features.
It was a really hard work, but I want to make it better for the community. I'm preparing the next update which is coming very soon. Thank you!

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Sorry for necromancing the thread, but does anyone know if this has been fixed in CS5 Illustrator?

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Hallelujah! Now to start saving my pennies for CS6...

There are, however, two absolutely maddening new bugs in Illustrator CS6:

1) Using a Magic Mouse, Illustrator routinely fails to register a right click, treating it instead as a normal click. This is very frustrating if your workflow includes: double-click word to highlight; right-click to bring up 'Recent Fonts' contextual menu, since it means that you don't get the menu, you highlight the whole paragraph instead…

2) You have multiple document windows open (I have a library document with some pre-made elements that I keep open behind the working page). CMD-TAB to another application (say, Word, to get your copy). CMD-TAB back to Illustrator.

Whatever document you had frontmost in your stacking order will no longer be at the front and the other document will now be at the front. This doesn't happen if you use tabbed documents, but I loathe tabbed windows!

I've filed bug reports with Adobe on both of these.

Cheers

Jim

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
2) You have multiple document windows open (I have a library document with some pre-made elements that I keep open behind the working page). CMD-TAB to another application (say, Word, to get your copy). CMD-TAB back to Illustrator.

Whatever document you had frontmost in your stacking order will no longer be at the front and the other document will now be at the front. This doesn't happen if you use tabbed documents, but I loathe tabbed windows!
I've seen this in CS5, with a slight variation. If I have Illustrator open on Snow Leopard in a certain Space (let's say, #1), then go to Space #2 where Mail is to open an emailed draft, more often than not, Illustrator will open the draft in Space #2, not Space #1 where the other window was. What's irritating is that all of the Illustrator palettes are back in #1, so if I click on the draft in #2 and then go to edit it, it'll fly me back to #1 and I cannot edit #2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.