Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

David Pogue posted a followup question and answer list about the Apple iPhone with some additional details. The highlights include:

- NO Java, MAYBE Flash, according to Jobs
- “How does the iPhone charge?” –It comes with a white charging/syncing dock, just like an iPod.
- Calendar program isn’t finished yet, but I did see an “add new event” icon on the placeholder graphic.
- “Can the pinch gesture be used on Web pages?” –Yes! Also on email!
- [The screen is the] same polycarbonate that’s used for iPod screens, although apparently the coating has been substantially improved.
- [The screen responds] ONLY to skin touch. I couldn’t use my fingernail, for example. And you certainly can’t use a stylus.

Full list of questions can be found at his blog. Part 1 was posted a few days ago.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Improved coating on screen.....

I'm glad to see that there was an improvement on that department. I suppose we'll see this on a new model iPod, when released. x]

gogoman

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
skin to win

Skin only huh? I was hoping for some use of Inkwell or handwriting recognition for quick notes or handwriting to text message application. Can't see writing with my finger tho, but who knows.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
days after the announcement of the forthcoming product "iPhone"...

was it not maybe better for Apple to promise to introduce the product information every few weeks, instead of how they introduced it last week?

does the speculation on features, what it can do or not do etc. create negative vibe about the phone?

gogoman

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
Javascript

Javascript is said to be supported but I haven't heard a definitive on JAVA.

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
Ok stevey...going to have to support java to call it a full featured web browser.

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
Exchange Integration

Everyone is freaking that there is no Exchange integration. From everything that I have read so far, this is really incorrect.

It was clearly stated by Apple and Jobs that IMAP is supported and that included exchange servers. What you don't get is the "push" like you get with a Blackberry or with the Yahoo.mail.

An IMO...who cares...bring on the iPhone!

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Why would Apple announce the iPhone 5+ months in advance? Wouldn't that give the competition 5+ months to copy it?

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Why would Apple announce the iPhone 5+ months in advance? Wouldn't that give the competition 5+ months to copy it?

Because the competition would copy even quicker if the FCC published detailed reports of the phone before it was even announced.

And 5+ months is not long enough for a company to copy a product which took 2+ years to complete.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Look at the bottom right pic just below the vid. I dunno if this has been seen, but it is really funny.

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
Some of you are acting like if the iPhone is a revolutionary device.

This is nothing but an attractive encased piece of ****.

599.99? for a dervice that wont support 3rd party?

People where talking bout how crippled the zune was with its wifi
and people are not saying nothing about this?

Weak people fall for jobs RDF

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation

Probably for marketing purposes. I think Steve could have said he was going to give away Macs to the masses at MWSF and people would still have been disappointed without an iPhone introduction. And besides this (hopefully) gives Apple another 5 months to sneak in a few new features or something for an extra "Wow" factor come june.

PS: Go Pats!

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC

Yeah I didn't understand this either.

If not in regards to their competitors, also because the hype will die down. If Steve had announced the iPhone and said that as soon as his keynote was through, it could be ordered - can you imagine how many would have been sold? Now by the time its released, it'll almost be a "yeah.. that's old news" type thing.

They killed the impulse buy - now people have 6 months to realize they probably shouldn't spend $600 on a phone that is lacking a few features they'd really like to see.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If they didn't say anything, people would think it doesn't exist, and their stock value would drop because all they introduced at MWSF 07 was Apple TV when what everybody wants and expects is an iPod Phone.

Didn't another guy say that java and flash will be supported?

Actually, it was that both were NOT supported. This is where the information gets a bit blurry. Maybe it's Java-script that's supported, not Java. This would make more sense in a way, but not for the user, who wants it all to work.

SoldOutMatinee

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Las Vegas
When txt messaging and you flip the iPhone to landscape mode, will the screen adapt? You know, so one can txt like if using a Sidekick so the onscreen QWERTY will be longer and easier to use.

sky131

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2003

This was answered specifically by Jobs in the keynote...

People constantly find out about new cellular phones through FCC applications, so he wanted Apple to announce this to the world officially and not have it "leak" via the FCC...

jialuolu

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2005
Canada
Charging?

The details on charging the iPhone are still pretty unclear. The iPod (I'm assuming 5G) does not ship with a dock, only a USB cord to sync/charge via your computer and no wall charger

I hope they realize that even if the iPhone does come with a dock, a lot of people aren't going to want to have to charge their cell phone via their computer

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Everyone is freaking that there is no Exchange integration. From everything that I have read so far, this is really incorrect.

It was clearly stated by Apple and Jobs that IMAP is supported and that included exchange servers. What you don't get is the "push" like you get with a Blackberry or with the Yahoo.mail.

An IMO...who cares...bring on the iPhone!

Yep, it was clearly stated already that Exchange is supported, so I don't see the point...the only ones denying this are probably:

1) PC fanboys;
2) traditional MR whiners;
3) those that prefer ugly Treos over the quantic leap called iPhone.

PLiK

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
The iPhone is a cell phone. Apple has to submit it to the FCC to be approved before it can be sold. All FCC submissions are public documents. Who would you rather have announce the iPhone? Apple or the FCC?

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
The details on charging the iPhone are still pretty unclear. The iPod (I'm assuming 5G) does not ship with a dock, only a USB cord to sync/charge via your computer and no wall charger

I hope they realize that even if the iPhone does come with a dock, a lot of people aren't going to want to have to charge their cell phone via their computer
I agree. For $599 I really hope that Apple decides to ship them with regular power chargers like every other company, maybe even a dock.

When txt messaging and you flip the iPhone to landscape mode, will the screen adapt? You know, so one can txt like if using a Sidekick so the onscreen QWERTY will be longer and easier to use.
Good question. I really hope so.

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003

FTFA:

“Any word on whether the keypad will be available in the horizontal screen mode allowing larger keys, albeit a smaller text window?” –That orientation wasn’t available in the prototype; Apple hasn’t decided whether or not to add the landscape keyboard layout. (Also, interestingly: rotating the iPhone to change the screen orientation only works counterclockwise–and only, as Mr. Jobs said, “When it makes sense.” That is, not all programs rotate.)

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
Some of you are acting like if the iPhone is a revolutionary device.

This is nothing but an attractive encased piece of ****.

599.99? for a dervice that wont support 3rd party?

People where talking bout how crippled the zune was with its wifi
and people are not saying nothing about this?

Weak people fall for jobs RDF

I really didn't want to respond to this, but why not.

If you are that disappointed with the iPhone thats fine, it didn't meet your expectations. I guess you find a gold bar and complain that it wasn't large enough.

You tell me what product on the market today can equal the iPhone, becuase the answer is easy, nothing can deliver all of what the iPhone will deliver.

Does it have absolutely every single option that a Blackberry or some other phone does...no...and so what....this isn't about trying to make an Apple branded Blackberry.

Apple is about defining a whole new paradigm...and they are doing that.

Just enjoy the ride and stop asking when we are going to get there...cuz Dad isn't going to turn the car around and head home..:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.