Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekjd

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Does anyone know if there is a free Mpgeg 2 codec out there? I really would like to grab video right from vobs rather then convert them and the only way I'm seeing is to buy the codec from Apple.... Open source or freeware would be great if it exists...

Derek

slosh

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2006
ffmpegx requires that you download and install some freeware mpeg2 encoders (http://www.ffmpegx.com/), but it looks like those might not help you with playback. the note about mpeg2 on that site says you need either the apple one or vlc to playback mpeg2 / muxed files. i didn't realize that streamclip requires an mpeg2 codec to load the muxed vob file. (i had the codec installed previously and never ran into the problem).

how did you get the powerpc mpeg2 codec, which i gather from your other thread isn't working on your mactel? if you got it legally with final cut or dvdstudio pro, you should be able to download the updated codec with your serial number:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/update/

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
I like Visual Hub with ffmpegX and the free mpeg2 binary - i can convert practically any video format then edit it in iMovie.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
These are all very good suggestions on how to play mpeg2 files, but since I love QT, and am basically trying to pimp my Quicktime:p as much as possible, I would like a plug-in for QT, which enables me to play MPEG2 files in QT.

I currently have Quicktime Pro 7.1.3 with the following stuff:
Perian
Flip4Mac
A52 codec

Anything else I could add to play more files (MPEG" plugin:rolleyes: ), please do link me.

(I am aware that Apple sells a codec for $20, but I'd rather have a free one if possible).

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Try divx for playback http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/download/

I record mpeg2 on a pc tv tuner and passed the file over to the mac. It sort of works...the first part of the video plays fine, but several minutes in it gets garbled and then I just get a green screen :( I checked the original on my pc and it plays fine with the divx codec, but the same file does not play well on the Mac.

I would buy the apple codec, but it has a "shipping" charge from the apple store. I don't want a box in the mail, I just want to download the software and use it now....

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
These are all very good suggestions on how to play mpeg2 files, but since I love QT, and am basically trying to pimp my Quicktime:p as much as possible, I would like a plug-in for QT, which enables me to play MPEG2 files in QT.

I currently have Quicktime Pro 7.1.3 with the following stuff:
Perian
Flip4Mac
A52 codec

Anything else I could add to play more files (MPEG" plugin:rolleyes: ), please do link me.

I personally avoid the problem by using VLC to convert to H.264.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I would buy the apple codec, but it has a "shipping" charge from the apple store. I don't want a box in the mail, I just want to download the software and use it now....

I bought it a couple of months back from the UK store. It was a straight download no shipping charge. Perhaps it's changed?

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia

I purchased the mpeg2 component 2 days ago for my iMac Core 2 Duo and there was no shipping charge. You may want to look at it again.

wytevett

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2007
Northern Minnesota
The VLC software mentioned above works great for me.

I just got my Sony DCR HD video camera today. It records mpeg2

The VLC software requires a two step process for me to use, but it works great.

I just open the mpeg2 in VLC, then use the File/Export wizard to export to MPEG4. The saved MPEG4 file can then be imported into iMovie HD for editing.

rapsball4

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
I couldn't find the codec on the Apple store - I had looked before and tried again after seeing this thread. I am also hoping to do the same thing as a I do a fair bit of video-editing and want to use my Sony DCRSR80 HDD that records in MPEG-2 with Final Cut Express. I don't want to do the conversion idea mentioned here (I'd probably use Pinnacle Studio 11 on my Vista machine) because if I remember correctly, they are lossy formats so I'd quality drop each time. Its also just a hassle that I'd really like to avoid if I can.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee

Try again. There shouldn't be a shipping charge, but most likely there will be a charge for sales tax added if you're in the U.S.

-DH

bcsbcs

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
NO MAC anymore for videos?

Many hours of videos taken with a SONY handycam (MPEG-2) seemed to be a bad business so far.
I've found the ffmpegX application which is finally professional enough for home-use.

Last edited:

knello

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2004
Many hours of videos taken with a SONY handycam (MPEG-2) seemed to be a bad business so far.
I've found the ffmpegX application which is finally professional enough for home-use.

ffmpegX is nice, but it's using a build of ffmpeg that's like 4 years old. I built my own using Macports, and it works great.

http://www.ffmpeg.org/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.