Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
The Summarize service is a nice way to extract text from a page. Select the whole page and chose Safari>Services>Summarize. Not sure but I think other browsers can access services as well. Alternatively, you can save the page to your hard drive and if you don't save it as a web archive it won't display the pictures when you open it from your local disk.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
The Summarize service is a nice way to extract text from a page. Select the whole page and chose Safari>Services>Summarize. Not sure but I think other browsers can access services as well. Alternatively, you can save the page to your hard drive and if you don't save it as a web archive it won't display the pictures when you open it from your local disk.

Thank you, that's a nice feature; however when I printed the page, the fonts were tiny.

Try highlighting the text, then dragging that to the desktop to make a 'text clipping'. You should then be able to print that as you like.

I tried that; however after I dragged the selected text to the desktop, [Print] was not under [File]. :confused:

I think what I'm thinking of is something called "Print Target," which is something I saw in the Windows XP operating system I think. :confused:

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Yeah, I've not actually tried to print before, I've only used it to grab phone numbers, etc. But, under Safari->Services, you might try two options: 1) if you have Stickies installed, you can highlight text and choose 'make new stickie', or 2) at the bottom should be TextEdit ->'new window containing selection'. I'd recommend the TextEdit approach I guess (and I verified you can print from this window).

Cheers

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I believe there are some add-ons for the Services menu that can make this easier. I think one of them is called Print Selection, amazingly enough. I don't have any of them installed, but I've heard they work fine. The only caveat is that they're only accessible to Cocoa apps that can use the Services menu items.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Say like if I wanted to print one just of the posts on this page for example, is there a way to do that and still maintain the font size as you see it on the page right now?

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
For something like this forum where everything is organized nicely, you could do a screen capture of just the text. cmd+shift+4 gives you crosshairs to select an area. Then you can open that in preview and print it.

I wonder if there is a way to make an automator script to grab the text from a page and put it in a new text edit document. From there you could easily change the size and format to however you want and then print.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
For something like this forum where everything is organized nicely, you could do a screen capture of just the text. cmd+shift+4 gives you crosshairs to select an area. Then you can open that in preview and print it.

That's the way I'll do it then. Thanks :)

I know in Firefox you can go to File > Print > (click on Copies & Pages and scroll down to Firefox) > Options: Print selection.

Yeah, if there's one thing I've learned from running this thread, is that your print options are dependent upon the browser you're using. Safari is the browser I always use. Internet Explorer is in Applications, but it's format feels extremely foreign after using Safari. ;)

I've never used Firefox. I'm kind of scared to try it after getting so comfortable with Safari, but it might have some better print options, we'll see. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.